HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Intermittent hell! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 15:34   #1 (permalink)
hlc

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Intermittent hell!

Hi all,

I need some serious help. I have a 1962 Galaxie 500 with a 390ci FE motor. I've had the car for 7 months now. It has had no problems except for a vacuum leak under the carb spacer. It was missing a gasket. Also I had to replace a crack exhaust manifold as soon as I purchased the car. Other then that it has been an excellent running car. However, last thursday I was driving my car, when is started overheating for no good reason...right before this it started to bog down, in 1st and 2nd gear but then it planed out.
I changed the oil and the thremostat, finding no reason for the overheat. Start the car, oil pressure 50..engine temp 185.. it ran great until I got where I was going. Then when I start it up again it idles rough and bogs down in 1st and 2nd under 40 mph, over that I'm smooth as can be.
So I think its bad fuel...change the fuel filter and clean out the carb, replace a carb gasket. SAME DAMN THING! Runs great until I turn it off...turn it on again, its a mess! o.p. 50 engine temp..185
Now I think its electrical...maybe a coil going bad..you know heating up. I change the coil..check the points and condenser. They look good. This time I start it up and let it heat up to 185-190. Then I drive it..it drives SMOOTH AS CAN BE! I drive it for about 4 miles. Come home, turn it off. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then fire it back up...This time I CANT EVEN GET AROUND THE BLOCK...its idling really rough, and bogging down likes it fuel starved. Its bucking a little. It stalls on me, ...its starts right up, but I have to ride the gas the whole way home. WHAT IS GOING ON! The plugs look good...the plug wires where just changed, the points and condenser where changed 3 months ago, the carb was rebuildt 3 months ago. The coil was just changed, the fuel filter was just changed. UGH!
A buddy suggested it may be vapor lock in the fuel line..maybe to close to the exhaust. I traced it, the closest it gets to the exhaust is maybe 5 inches. I dont think thats it. WHAT CAN IT BE? Why will it run fine until I turn it off, then run like shit again when I fire it up. I ran it without the gas cap..same thing...then I change the condenser, plugs and plug wires again! Same thing. So confused. Can anybody help?
Its a 1962 Galaxie 500 with a 390FE and the stock ford 4 barrel carb (I think its a holley)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
thanks.
hlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Intermittent hell!

i would get a vacuum gauge, hook it up the stick it under the wiper so you can see it while driving, while cruising it should be 15-20 steady, drop fast then go to 20+ when getting on the gas, 18ish at idle.
Old 11-04-2007, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
hlc

ok...and if its not at those levels that means I have a vaccum leak?
Old 11-05-2007, 18:21   #4 (permalink)
wasnt me

vacuum leak, valve problems, restricted exhaust, timing off, carb problems(most likely your source of trouble), vacuum can tell you a lot of things once you learn how to read it.
Old 11-06-2007, 21:51   #5 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hi, just thought of one thing you might check, firing order, make you don't have any spark wires in the wrong place on the distributor. fire order is
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. Also check to see if any spark plug wires are touching each other. Check for vacuum on the distributor, take dist. cap off, remove hose or vacuum line at the carb from the dist. if its a rubber hose try sucking on it and see if the dist. moves or advances, if it doesn't that could be part of your problem too, then replace the vacuum advance diaphram.
Even brand new spark plugs can be faulty and give problems you describe. Had that happen to me once with my F-150. They were faulty Champion plugs. Let us know what you find out. thanks.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 22:16   #6 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Got one more item you might want to checkout. If you haven't replaced it check for a cracked distributor cap. this will cause similar problems you describe. Check all your ground wires and the connections on the starter selenoid. You could also have a bad primary resistor wire. (hope not) It goes from the ignition switch to the primary (battery) side of the coil. They usually don't give problems. Got a 62 Shop manual? You will need a Volt-ohm meter to check that.
Old 12-02-2007, 23:16   #7 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hey, did you get your problem solved with your Galaxie? Sure would like to know what the problem was.
Old 12-06-2007, 16:02   #8 (permalink)
hlc

I think it was the fuel pump which I replaced, but when I did it I also decided to rebuild the carb. Know the car runs for thirty minutes then floods and fuel fouls my plugs. I was checked the carb about 100 times...changed every gasket, rebuildt the accelerator pump again and changed the power valve..replaced the needle and seat again....I can not get it to stop flooding. Runs great for 30 minutes then floods.
Old 12-06-2007, 17:41   #9 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Okay there is a possibility you got your float levels set too high or you got too big of fuel jet size. I'm running size 52 on the primary and 58 on the secondary on my 390 automatic trans and it runs fine, and thats at sea level and slightly above.
Now this is on the Ford Carburetor, not the Holley. Hope you didn't lose any of those little ball check valves in the carb when you were rebuilding it, that would cause problems.
Old 12-06-2007, 18:59   #10 (permalink)
hlc

I didnt rebuild it, a "friend" did you obviously didnt know what he's doing. Its a 64 ford carb..The float levels are right...its not overflowing...it just idles for about 30 minutes perfectly....then the plugs get fuel fouled. But it is not flooding outside the carb. Since the rebuild it has been gone thru....I havent checked the ball checks...I know one is definitely there...the one in the main venturi. I was told to check the power valve. Which i did tonight. I pulled off the cover and fuel gushed out. I was told no fuel should come out of the power valve...is this true? I have replaced it twice and it has happened twice. Thanks again for the interest and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie