Help With Stearing Box - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 16:19   #1 (permalink)

Help With Stearing Box

Hi I Bought A 65 Galaxie 2 Door 500 But When I Drive It It Starts Pulling To The Side So I Try To Manage The Stearing Wheel But The Car Goes To The Other Side, The Guy That Sold It To Me Said It Was The Stearing Box That Needed To Be Repleaced Could You Guys Tell Me Where To Look For One??? Thank You
65galaxie
Socal
65galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 11:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help With Stearing Box

I don't know if I'd start with the steering box... Take a look at the front tires on the car, is there even wear across the tread on both sides? It sounds like it might be more of an alignment problem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if the steering box was going, it would translate into play in the wheel, not into pulling from side to side. Try taking it to a front end/axle shop and have them spend an hour with it or so just looking over the steering/alignment. They could probably help you out.

-Albackus36
Albackus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:37   #3 (permalink)

hi, thanks for the response, maybe i explained myself wrong it is play with stearing wheel, the tires are ok in the front.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51   #4 (permalink)

Okay, these cars use a parallelogram steering setup with mulitple joints that develop play in them over the years. When you add up the play in each of the joints from the tie-rod ends to the steering box, there can be quite a large amount of play after 40-some years. It really couldn't hurt to rebuild the front end of your gal. Performance Suspension Technology (the add the back of a lot of car mags) has a rebuild kit for many big fords. Their kit is pretty easy for even a beginner. Lowering the lower control arms can be a bit daunting or you could just have a shop do it. If they've never been replaced, the ball-joints, inner/outer tie-rods, idler arm bushings, and control arm bushings are probably all worn out. Rubber deteriorates even if not used. Check it out.
Albackus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:17   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albackus36
Okay, these cars use a parallelogram steering setup with mulitple joints that develop play in them over the years. When you add up the play in each of the joints from the tie-rod ends to the steering box, there can be quite a large amount of play after 40-some years. It really couldn't hurt to rebuild the front end of your gal. Performance Suspension Technology (the add the back of a lot of car mags) has a rebuild kit for many big fords. Their kit is pretty easy for even a beginner. Lowering the lower control arms can be a bit daunting or you could just have a shop do it. If they've never been replaced, the ball-joints, inner/outer tie-rods, idler arm bushings, and control arm bushings are probably all worn out. Rubber deteriorates even if not used. Check it out.
Great info!!
ive actually seen some kits on summitracing, i believe they are made of polyurethane or semething like that. Is there a kit or something close to that that you guys know of, so i can buy it and replace the bushings on the car?
Have you actually purchase new ones for you gal?
ill like to change all that on the front end to get it right at the first time..
Thank you for your post.
I wold like to know more of it. And it would be grear if i can replace everything i can...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:39   #6 (permalink)

Ok, i was looking around and this is some of the options i found for the components.

Moog Rear Control Arm Bushings: MOG-K8135 - summitracing.com

Energy Suspension Radius/Strut Arm Bushing Sets: ENS-4-7117G - summitracing.com

Moog Replacement Tie Rod Ends: MOG-ES727 - summitracing.com

Moog Replacement Tie Rod Ends: MOG-ES351RL - summitracing.com

Moog Ball Joints: MOG-K8059 - summitracing.com

Moog Replacement Idler Arm Bushings: MOG-K8042 - summitracing.com

Energy Suspension Front Control Arm Bushing Sets: ENS-4-3131R - summitracing.com

i actually dont know if some of these are compatible with my 65 gal.
Im doing some research. But is this what i should be looking for?
Thanks again for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie