hooking up a tachometer to 64 289 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 11:50   #1 (permalink)

hooking up a tachometer to 64 289

I want to put in a tach in my galaxie but have no clue how to put it in. i have a c4 transmission with the center shifter. any help would be greatly appreciated.
MattBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 20:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: hooking up a tachometer to 64 289

Doesnt your tacho come with a wiring diagram or is yours second hand, i had an xy with a 302 cleveland, and had mine wired up through a Bosch GT40 coil living here in Melbourne Victoria.Australia

Depending on how many wires you have on the tacho loom, with mine it has 2 seperate looms, one for the accessories, lighting up the facia at night, which is connected to a wire from your cigarette lighter, or dash lights, so it comes on with the ignition,or when you turn your lights on, these are BLACK(EARTH) and ORANGE(ACC LIGHTS)so i would just splice the wire with a joiner to tap into the power source, an electrical tester is a valid tool, not expensive but saves dollars, at least you can test for live power.........all you do is connect the end of the tester, the one with a clip to a good earth on the body, must be metal,and touch the tip of the tester in the wire till you make contact, some people wire it through the back of the fuse box, they just check the fuse box to see what fuse feeds what and tap into it,this way its protected from short outs, and potential damage to the unit, as the fuse blows and protects the tach unit

If you dont have a tester you can make one out of an old loom , from tailights of a car, that works also, you have a + and a _ on that globe socket assembly to feed power to the globe..make sure you allow yourself enough length with the wires if you cut it out of an old loom from a wreck

THEN theres the other section of the loom on my tacho, which has 3 wires,green, black, red, which i wire up to the coil
red+ and black - on the coil terminals, i forget where the green goes, ????????????????
i dont know if ive helped you out here with my tacho i have switch at the back thats sets the tacho up for 4,6 or 8 cylinder
i havent provided you with all the answers but with some practice and the use of a electrical tester, you will save yourself a lot of money, auto electricians cost a fortune
i would like to know how you got on with this, doing a galazy up would be great, old fords never die, they just go forever

good luck

Russel
BAFALCON08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie