Idler Arm etc... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:19   #1 (permalink)
Galaxian

Question Idler Arm etc...

Hi evrybody..
Got new Bushings on Idler Arm and Lower Control Arm front and rear...
Stabilizer Rubbers as well....

Now I have to direct the Steering Wheel after Curves in the Straight position. Before changing the Bushings the Power Steering acts like magic and the Steering wheel went in right position after drivin into curves I mean drivin left or right Turns....

Do I have to check the Track, Steering Gear or Power Steering Valve?

The Gal is very straight in drivin towards... But a little bit tricky in Curves....

Do you know the Measury of In-toe, Toe or Caster??

Olli

Through the Galaxie and much more beyond...
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 12:29   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Idler Arm etc...

It may be that the idler arm bushings are too tight. Raise the front and turn the wheels by hand. They should turn fairly easily. As for the alignment specs., what year and model is it?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:48   #3 (permalink)
Galaxian

Tongue Re: Idler Arm etc...

It´s a 62 Ford Galaxie Conv....
Do you think this "Drivin" situation got something todo with the new Idler Arm Bushings?

What can be done not to sit too tight on the Idler Arm?

Before changing the system ran very well....

Olli

Through the Galaxie and much more beyond...
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 13:52   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I would say it is where the problem lies. I can't remember how they're installed but I'll see if I can find out. Meanwhile, someone else may come in with a suggestion.
Old 09-13-2009, 21:05   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The idler arm is aupposed to be tightened in the straight ahead position and that's supposed to bring it back to straight ahead when you turn the wheel. It acts kind of like caster because when you turn the wheel, the rubber gets stressed and when you let up on the wheel, the rubber goes back to where it was and helps to pull back straight ahead.

I just reread your post and forgot to get the caster and camber settings. I'll get back to you with them.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:49   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The alignment specs. are ½º- to ½º+ Caster, ¼º+ to 1º Camber, 1/8" to ¼" toe-in.
Old 09-18-2009, 22:46   #7 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hi Oli:
We just got back Thursday afternoon from vacation. Was car show in Nelson BC, where I have family. Approximately 345 vintage cars, hot rods and customized cars. Was great show. We put on about 1030 miles (1620 km) on the Galaxie and not any problems. Car run like a fine tuned watch. There are 4 major mountain passes to go up and down. My fuel mileage worked out to 17.2 miles per imperial gallon which is okay for speed we travel and extra weight carried.
Glad to see you got other opinion on your new bushings and idler arm bushings.
The previous message regarding the rubber bushings, this will have some bearing on returning the wheels straight because of tension on rubber. Also at one time there was a idler arm kit that actually had a small ball bearing set up for each end of the idler arm and it had grease fittings. I know because I took one off one of the parts cars I parted out a few years back. I still have it.
Therefore the tension on the rubber bushings does have some effect in helping return the wheels straight, its actually the caster set up on the suspension that returns the wheels. The real purpose of the idler arm is to support and steady the end of the steering arm rod. Wheels must be straight ahead position when idler arm bushings are tightened and weight of the car on rest of suspension when tightening lower and upper control arm bushings. Cheers, Bob
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie