Looking to buy my first Galaxie - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Looking to buy my first Galaxie

Hi folks. First post for me...

I currently drive a '66 Mustang fastback and doubt I'll ever get rid of it. But the time has come to get a larger ride. The Mustang has been (and still is) my daily driver. Rain or shine; hot or cold - it's out in it. And for a number of years I've been carrying my daughter (and now 1 year old son) in its tiny rear seat. (I installed Andover shoulder restraints for their car seats.) But as of a couple weeks ago, my back let me know that enough was enough! I just can't bend that far any more to get a heavy car seat in and out.

So I'm in the market for a 4-door Galaxy. I would most like a '66, but a '65 would do just as well. My only criteria are that it has to be a V8, has to have A/C, and has to be a turn-key car.

I suppose my question is where should I look? Is eBay my best bet? I've seen some awfully nice sedans listed there, but I'm not nearly as price-savy with Galaxies as I am with Mustangs. What should I expect to pay - $2000 to $5000? Any other little-known sources for what I'm after?

Thanks!
Dan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 18:16   #2 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Re: Looking to buy my first Galaxie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6233
Old 07-11-2005, 18:25   #3 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Thanks ford4v. I saw this one a few days ago. And while it's clearly a turn-key car, it's not a V8 car and it doesn't have A/C.

My primary interest is in the value of these cars. I don't want to spend more than it's worth. For instance, if someone asked me if a run-of-the-mill 1966 Mustang coupe was worth $10,000 - I could immediately tell them it wasn't. That's the kind of thing I want to learn from you seasoned Galaxie buffs.

Can I expect to find a decent driver (V8 and A/C) for somewhere under $4000?
Old 07-11-2005, 18:27   #4 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

If looking for a galaxie, I'd say number one consideration would be the all too common frame rot...if the car was ever driven in salt, all too often the drain holes clogged with a little dirt, and they rot from the inside out:

heres pics of the 54000 mile original owner gal my neighbor gave me-

Ive owned three galaxies in my life, all had frame rot(this one was worst by far). look for one from out west, as arid climates prevent rust, but those cars often need interiors redone from all the sun/heat...

the nice gold 20k original 6cyl/stick one I posted the ebay link to above looks almost mint/too nice to drive, but heck- if you can get a almost new classic for 1/4 cost of a new one, go for it. upgrading it from 6/stick would cost way less than major structural repairs. Personally If I had one that nice I'd flush/etch/undercoatwand spray frame interior to keep it that way.
Old 07-11-2005, 18:35   #5 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan66
Thanks ford4v. I saw this one a few days ago. And while it's clearly a turn-key car, it's not a V8 car and it doesn't have A/C.

My primary interest is in the value of these cars. I don't want to spend more than it's worth. For instance, if someone asked me if a run-of-the-mill 1966 Mustang coupe was worth $10,000 - I could immediately tell them it wasn't. That's the kind of thing I want to learn from you seasoned Galaxie buffs.

Can I expect to find a decent driver (V8 and A/C) for somewhere under $4000?

oops- was still typing after you replied...I wouldnt doubt theyre out there, but finding a clean one might be difficult- if youre looking for a 4 door though, they dont bring anywhere near what a 2 door would go for in same condition- good luck in your search

ps- heres a pic of my 4 door on merc wheels- I really like the way these go with the car:
Old 07-11-2005, 21:15   #6 (permalink)

I have a 1964 Sedan 289V8, aircon, big stereo, recent paint and upholstery. I spent $16,000 on it after I bought it.
I'll sell it for $10,000.
I have it listed at www.carsales.com.au

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_results?category_id=3&selected_model=28&selected_region=&search_type=20&price_mi n=&price_max=&make_id=6&model_id=2689&keyword=&state_id=3&search_postcode=&search_distance=25

Send me an email if you're interested:
bob@vanderwal.com.au

Cheers,
HHHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:28   #7 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Thanks for the responses guys. I certainly know how it is to spend way more bringing a car up to snuff than you did buying it! It's just part of the game. But I didn't know about the frame rust being so common. Thanks!

For some reason, the '66 models are really turning my crank. Maybe it's just the grille design - I don't know...
Old 07-12-2005, 15:52   #8 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

regarding frame rust, 65 up until early/mid 70's seemed to have very similar frames, but I'd always heard 65-70 were the worst years- sad as this includes all my favorite years (69 hardtop, 67 fastback, 65 fastback).
I had a 69/429 that was rusted thru when my mom bought it in '74, I had a very clean 71 LTD thats rear bumper/rear 3 feet of frame fell off after bumping into Mom's brand new '80 mustang(once she saw her car was OK, she thought it was real funny). and youve seen the mess that was under my 65...

64 and earlier had curved siderails, I dont think these had any rustprone issues, but later had the 'torque box' style and straight side rails. Ive usually noticed in front of drivers side rear wheel usually the worst, not sure why though.
I got some parts from mine from a clean wrecked colorado junkyard car, and aside from heavy rear damage frame looked great- but noticed a slight rust colored line along front bottom of framerail, and pushed a finger right thru it- inside looked like 'graham crackers'- big waferlike sheets of rust you could see thru the various factory holes along the frame...my guess is the car must have came thru the saltbelt enough to collect some salt inside, but undercarriage was typical 'desert dusty' but beautiful condition. be very careful inspecting a prospective car, and be sure to give a good squeeze along the frontsiderails, and rear arches in front of rear wheels- any 'crunchy sounds' means runaway...just be careful- first squeeze on mine a handful fell out! that just may upset the seller :)
also just about all the 'drivers' Ive ever seen around here have all had patches/replacements/reinforcements welded in over the past 40 years- any signs of welding is a good sign its got rot inside. good luck finding a clean one, I know they are out there, but need to find one thats spent its life in low humidity area to be safe. strange thing about these big cars is how strong the body is- Im sure mine was holding the frame up rather than the other way around- car felt tight on the short ride I took in it before disassembling. once body was removed, stepping on front torque box busted frame in half- I need to lose some weight I know, but 200 lbs shouldnt do that :)

heres a link to Russ Owens' frame replacement article- theres a original FoMoCo artical at the bottom:
http://www.lovefords.org/tech/65_frame.htm
Old 07-13-2005, 01:51   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHenry
I have a 1964 Sedan 289V8, aircon, big stereo, recent paint and upholstery. I spent $16,000 on it after I bought it.
I'll sell it for $10,000.
I think the cost of importing it from Australia to Texas would be slightly prohibiting mate

Here are some websites to check out Dan66...

http://www.autoextra.com/home

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

http://www.cars-on-line.com/

You'll generally find lots of the same cars on most of those three sites tho :)

http://www.classyauto.com/

http://www.hemmings.com/

try them for starters

I've been watching Galaxies up for auction on Ebay for over 6 months now...

(we will soon be travelling through the USA {wife is American}
and I want a Coupe to drive whilst there,
and to bring home when we've finished... {I have an RHD sedan shell})

You can pick up a really nice car for $2-4k if its a Coupe...

As for 4 door sedan.... logically you should pay less... they are less desirable
(remember that big yellow Galaxie Taxi in "Bullitt" just before the big Chase scene)

But you only see Half as many (or less) 4doors as you will see Coupes on Ebay
heres a nice 4 door
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Just set up a search on Ebay and watch what
they are selling for... for a few weeks
or use this one
http://search.ebay.com/65-1965-66-19...0Q28galaxieQ29

hope that helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aGalaxie 004.jpg (104.8 KB, 28 views)
EFGTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 20:41   #10 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hi, try the website of our galaxie club. www.galaxieclub.com.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie