Loose steering column - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 14:49   #1 (permalink)

Loose steering column

Hi all. I just recently purchased a '64 Galaxie 500 with a C6 automatic tranny and the steering column is loose. I can slide it left to right at least 6 inches. I looked under the dash and it doesn't appear that anything is broken. Is there a u-bolt that might be missing that holds this in place? Any info would be appreciated.
LowGalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 23:32   #2 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Re: Loose steering column

You might have a swing-away steering column that moves to the right of centre. This was an option on the Galaxies, Mercury and Thunderbirds.
If any bolts were missing that would hold it stationary, it would fall in your lap.
But it should lock in place when centered. Don't know too much about them, but could be the lock mechanism is damaged or missing.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 23:41   #3 (permalink)

Re: Loose steering column

It must be a swing-away steering column because it does center then slide to the right. I will have to research this then. Thanks for the info.
LowGalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 14:09   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Loose steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowGalaxie
It must be a swing-away steering column because it does center then slide to the right. I will have to research this then. Thanks for the info.
Swing it all the way to the left then shift it into gear. It should now be locked and not move. Swing away wheels should be that loose when in park. Some tend to partially lock when moved into the driving position but these require an adjustment, and possibly a new shift lever, column detent an lower column bushing. This can also be acompanied by starting issues, specifically having to lift the shift lever to start the vehicle.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie