New here....question 'bout 65 Galaxie - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2004, 08:17   #1 (permalink)

New here....question 'bout 65 Galaxie

I have a '65 Galaxie 2 door hardtop that I've had for about 15 years.

In that time, I've rebuild the motor, trans, and rearend.

All that's left is paint and body, and I'm finally getting around to doing that.

My question is regarding the side body trim. I've never seen another Galaxie with it. The trim is chrome trim at the break in the body line that runs the full length of the car.

It doesn't really fit in with what I'm going to do with the car, so I'm debating leaving it off when I paint it, but given the seeming rarity of it as best I can tell, I'm hesitant to just ditch it yet.

Thanks
Tracy

Gixster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2004, 18:53   #2 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Re: New here....question 'bout 65 Galaxie

Side trim must have been fairly rare-dont see it very often, but have seen misc pcs on ebay.
I always liked the dual rear antennas - were those original? if you get a chance, pics of the antenna base design, and approx drilling location would be nice to know- never seen them on a 65 before, but know back then many dealers did offer them. Just saw a set on ebay last week for impalas, but they had round bases, where I think ford usually had rectangular bases...would like to know if this is the case.
I think if the trim AND antennas were original equipment, you might have a very rare combination- if you ever intend on selling, something to keep in mind in deciding wether or not to weld up the mounting holes...
Old 10-17-2004, 19:03   #3 (permalink)
EdC

I like the wheels! How long ago did you put them on (how old are they and what, if you know, did they originally come on?)? Are they 15X7s? What is the bolt pattern, 4 1/2"? Is there a model number or a manufacturer known for those rims? I am looking for a set now for my 1963 1/2 Galaxie 500. 7" for the front & 8-10" for the rears. Thanks! EdC
EdC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 19:04   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4v429
Side trim must have been fairly rare-dont see it very often, but have seen misc pcs on ebay.
I always liked the dual rear antennas - were those original? if you get a chance, pics of the antenna base design, and approx drilling location would be nice to know- never seen them on a 65 before, but know back then many dealers did offer them. Just saw a set on ebay last week for impalas, but they had round bases, where I think ford usually had rectangular bases...would like to know if this is the case.
I think if the trim AND antennas were original equipment, you might have a very rare combination- if you ever intend on selling, something to keep in mind in deciding wether or not to weld up the mounting holes...
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to snap a picture or two of the antenna base in a day or so. The left antenna is original. The right side is a dummy, I got lucky and found an identical base at the junkyard. The base is more of an oval than anything. I also like the look better. The chrome trim probably won't stay. I was thinkin' about selling it even or throwing it up on Ebay, but I have no idea what it's worth.

I plan on painting the car black with a classic flame job, ala 60s era hotrod, which is the theme I'm trying to follow with the car. The dual antennas and the Torq-Thrust wheels are a good start.
Old 10-17-2004, 19:07   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdC
I like the wheels! How long ago did you put them on (how old are they and what, if you know, did they originally come on?)? Are they 15X7s? What is the bolt pattern, 4 1/2"? Is there a model number or a manufacturer known for those rims? I am looking for a set now for my 1963 1/2 Galaxie 500. 7" for the front & 8-10" for the rears. Thanks! EdC
Thanks! The wheels are Torque-Thrust D wheels from American Racing. I bought them about 7 or 8 years ago. They are 15x7s. I'm not sure 'bout the bolt pattern, but it is standard big Ford bolt pattern I know.

Here's the link to the wheels on American Racing's website.

Torq-Thrust wheels
Old 10-18-2004, 20:59   #6 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixster
The dual antennas and the Torq-Thrust wheels are a good start.
I agree 100%. With flames, yeah, the trim just hasta go...

As much as I hate cast wheels(work at a company that machines cast and forged wheels), I ran right out and bought a set of torq-thrust-d's for my mustang back around '93 when they brought them back...friggin mustangs still sitting with tires dryrotting...stickers still on the tread...I'm a bit of a procrastinator.
Torq-thrust-d or magnum 500's are my personal favorites for any late 60's Ford...except my 4 door 65 gal- 'sport/performance' wheels just dont go with the 4 door... tried my mustangs torq-thrust, and the centerline telstars from my mark vii, to me it looked silly.
Im still looking for a cheap set of the 16x7 93-96 crown vic spoked wheels(look similar to GTA Firebird rims)- think the more 'formal' wheel will fill up the wheelwells yet still be 'in character' for a two tone 4 door-would like to say 'old man' looking car but dont want to offend anyone : )

btw- most fords and chryslers have '5 on 4 1/2' bolt pattern- so if ya see a nice set of late model mopar/jeep wheels, good chance theyll fit (unless offset for front wheel drive). Several jeep wheels Ive seen on grand cherokees in the last 5 or 6 years looked pretty sharp. never seen any on a ford yet, but ya never know.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:28   #7 (permalink)

about that trim

Hey,

That trim is fairly common on '65 Gals. It's pretty easy to remove, but you'll have a good number of holes in the sheet metal to fill if you're not replacing the trim. I removed the trim from my '65 because I didn't like the way it looked.

sean
63Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 21:33   #8 (permalink)

New guy here ! I would like to know what disc brake setup I can get used to put on my 65 galaxie.
steve44578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie