Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 10:48   #1 (permalink)

Questions

hey im new here and hope I can get some answers. I got a 66' Galaxie with a blown 352 with a c6 transmission. I found a replacement engine and its a 390. Guy sais it runs dosnt know the mileage and no work has been done to it.
He wants $600. Anybody know if thats a reasonable price?.
Or what will work for my car and where I can get a replacement?.-Regards-
CuresOfThe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 16:02   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: Questions

my 390 had 94k on it when i pulled it, it ran with just a slight noise at higher rpm due to the bearings just plain worn out, also found 3 broken piston rings, and a very sloppy timing chain. so an all original 390 that you cant hear and have no history of..i say $600 is pretty steep. i got one out of a junkyard for $200 and had to bore it out, grind the crank, new valves, etc, etc.

any fe series engine will drop right in to your car, most common(cheapest) being 352 and 390.
Old 03-28-2007, 16:18   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390wagon
my 390 had 94k on it when i pulled it, it ran with just a slight noise at higher rpm due to the bearings just plain worn out, also found 3 broken piston rings, and a very sloppy timing chain. so an all original 390 that you cant hear and have no history of..i say $600 is pretty steep. i got one out of a junkyard for $200 and had to bore it out, grind the crank, new valves, etc, etc.

any fe series engine will drop right in to your car, most common(cheapest) being 352 and 390.
Thanks!. Im gonna try and talk him down. He throws in a 2 month warranty. My buddy got a 302 from him for $300 and he said it was fine when he opend it up. What would be a generally good price for looking at an engine like this?. And once again, thank you!.-Regards-
Old 03-31-2007, 15:41   #4 (permalink)
wasnt me

well with a 2 month warranty that would up the price a bit but to me $500 would be the limit(with warranty). what exactly happened to your engine?
Old 04-01-2007, 15:21   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390wagon
well with a 2 month warranty that would up the price a bit but to me $500 would be the limit(with warranty). what exactly happened to your engine?
Just a bunch of carb build up from over the years. It was like glass. One of the bearings broke and literally screwd up the shaft to the point where its not even worth trying to save. Everything else is fine. I just need a new crank shaft. BUT a buddy of mine was saying its easier to go with a new engine rather than get a new crank shaft and bearings and redo it. Even though I already got the new rings, bearings and gasket set for this engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie