Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver Island
Re: So I lost the key's to the Galaxie....
For what its worth this is directly from the 1962 shop manual which has the same type ignition switch as the 1964. The procedure is as follows.
1. Disconnect negative cable from the battery.
2. Turn the ignition key to the accessory position. Slightly depress the pin, (key in lock cylinder...course yours is lost) turn the key counterclockwise, and pull the key and lock cylinder out of the switch assembly.
3. Ignition switch removal....Press in on the rear of the switch and rotate the switch 1/8 turn counterclockwise (as viewed from the terminal end). Remove the bezel and switch.
4. Remove the insulated plug and wires from the rear of the switch.
5. If a new ignition swith as well as the lock cylinder is to be installed, insert a screwdriver into the lock opening of the ignition switch and turn the slot in the switch to a full counterclockwise position. (I would assume thats with the lock cylinder out)
6. Connect the insulated plug and accessory wires to the back of the ignition switch.
7. Place the bezel and switch in the switch opening, press the switch toward the instrument panel and rotate it 1/8 turn to lock it in poistion.
8. If a new lock cylinder is to be installed, insert the key in the cylinder and turn the key to the accessory position. Place the lock and key into the ignition switch, depress the pin slightly (need something small to fit the hole of the lock cylinder to depress the pin) and turn the key counterclockwise. Push the lock cylinder into the switch. Turn the key to check the lock cylinder operation.
If all else fails, get a locksmith. good luck and let us know how you made out.