Which Thermostat for a ´62 - 390CUi - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 05:13   #1 (permalink)
Galaxian

Question Which Thermostat for a ´62 - 390CUi

Hello Folks - I´m in a Discussion about the right Thermostat for my 390 FE. Which should be taken - the 160 Fahrenheit or the 180/195 Fahrenheit?

The Engine is Stock - no stroking, Tuning or what else...

Implemented is a 160 Fahrenheit Thermostat. Got no Performance Problems. A guy told me when I "use" a 160 Fahrenheit Thermostat then the Engine will not last for long - cause of overheating the Cylinder Walls and stretching the Material.

What is your opinion about this thing??

Thanks - and merry Christmas... from Germany

Oliver

Through the Galaxie and much more beyond...
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2007, 19:58   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: Which Thermostat for a ´62 - 390CUi

how would the cylinder walls overheat if the water temp is kept at 160? 160 is fine if you dont drive the car in cold weather, if you do and want some heat then 180 would be the way to go.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:52   #3 (permalink)
Galaxian

roll But what about this Diagram?

Hi - but what about this Diagram. It shows how harmful false Temperature will be for the Engine itself or the Cylinder Walls.

I drive the Gal mostly in Spring and Summer. Sometimes in Winter when Weather is good. No snow or Salt on the Streets.

But I think after looking on the Excel Diagram - I have to made my mind.
Think the Heater will function properly with the 160 Fahrenheit one.

Oliver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CylinderWear.jpg (31.1 KB, 6 views)

Old 12-29-2007, 13:39   #4 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hello (Oli) Galaxian, I've been running a 160 deg. thermostat on my 390 for about 18 years and have had no problems. These big block V8's are almost industructable. When I bought the car 20 years ago I had a lot of overheating problems. It was a wonder the engine didn't melt. But when I had those problems I never shut it off, cause thats when a engine gets hotter and can sieze up. Those overheating days were on idle waiting for stop lights and lineups at border crossings. I also use 15-40 diesel oil for the engine and its probably the best for those old big block V8's. Do not use these 5-10 or 5-20 oils, they are too light and that can cause more wear.
To eliminate my heating problems I went to a six blade fan, cooler 160 deg. thermostat and the next lower heat range for the sparkplugs.
Hey, did you ever get that stabilizer bar installed that I sent to you?
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2008
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:53   #5 (permalink)
Galaxian

Exclamation Short Report

Hi Folks and especially Bob - good to hear from you again. Of course, the Stabilizer Bar is already assembled to the Galaxie. I often talk about this Present you made to me Bob. I was very glad - believe me!!! My Mechanic assembled it in April this year...

The discussion because of the Thermostat began in another Forum cause of one fellow who wants to replace a Thermostat and did not knew which to take. For a 390 Engine.

Another User posted the Diagram above. He told me if I use the 160 Degree Thermostat it would not be useful I mean harmful for the Cylinder Walls of my engine cause of the low Temperature and so on.

I usually drive the Gal from Spring to Fall.It's a Convertible and make no sense in other way.Sometimes at blue Sky in the Winter - but the Streets have to be dry without Salt here in Germany.

At Macs Antique they told me to take a 180 Degree Stat if driving Winter Time complete. It would make the Interior warmer through Heating.

I have alway used a 160 Degree Stat - next year I´ll replace the Expansion Tank cause of little leaking. Then I'll replace the old Stat with a new One - marked with 160 on it.

Will do not Harm the Engine in any kind. This has "FE Grandpa" not deserved... LOL.

Meantime lots of Motor Folks have lots of Discussions because their Cars can´t be driven and they´re boring. Lots of Cooks can make the Meal ugly..

Beg your Pardon for my english.

If you say the 160 will be correct - i' ll drive it for the next years...

Hey Bob another question - which Transmission Fluid do you have in Use?
ATF F - right?? Which Company?

Thanks a lot and all the best for 2008 - I'm sure to ask you for some Help in 2008 - definitively....

Oliver from Cologne/Germany

Old 01-01-2008, 23:25   #6 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hi again Oli, I've been away for couple of days. Yes ATF F is correct fluid for the automatic tranny (transmission) I don't know what oil companies you have in Germany, but if you have Shell, Exxon, Chevron, they should have it. It all comes from same barrell, just different comany names on the bottles.
Regarding your expansion tank, sometimes called surge tank, overflow tanks etc., these tanks can be resoulderd. They get pinholes or cracks on the corners. I have soulderd mine up and had no trouble. I eventually found a real good one at a swapmeet and using it now. You can buy reproduction type, but very expensive. Talk to you again.. HAPPY NEW YEAR 2008 Bob
Old 01-02-2008, 00:48   #7 (permalink)
Galaxian

Smile Which Thermostat for a ´62 - 390CUi

Hi Bob - thanks to hear from you again. I do have a "new" Expansion Tank as a Spare. Bought it in 2007.

What do you say about the Diagram I´d put in the Thread? Do you agree with this Case? Please tell me....

Oh man - we got the same Companies for ATF Oil here as well. But I must have a look cause the F Suffix. Oil is not equal to Oil.

This Qualification has Quaker State Oil. Available here in Germany too.

Happy new Year Bob - always a pleasure to talk with you....

Oliver

Old 01-04-2008, 19:11   #8 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Re diagram thread...I would have to agree, as this probably is scientificly proven, but also you must have sustained oil pressure too. I don't think using a 160 thermostat is going to make much difference for us living in the northern hemisphere. We don't drive these cars everyday and during hot weather the temperature guage goes up to normal anyway. I been using 160 deg thermostat for long time now with 15-40 diesel oil which is okay for gasoline engines.
The ATF (auto trans. fluid) ATF - F the suffix is usually for Ford products. Should say on the can or bottle and is dark red in color like red wine.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:58   #9 (permalink)
Galaxian

Tongue Re: Which Thermostat for a ´62 - 390CUi

Thanks for answer Bob - the next Stat i will take has to be a 160 Degree. It lays on the shelf and will assembled with my "new" Expansion Tank.

Which Brand is the Transmission Oik you use Bob?

Oliver

Old 01-06-2008, 16:15   #10 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

I use whatever brand I get for good price. I have bought it from the Ford dealership (Motorcraft brand) when its on sale. Lordco which is an autoparts store chain here in British Columbia, Co-op has refinery in Saskatchewan, there brand is good, Esso, Shell, Chevron, Walmart and Costco stores all have motor oils, like I say, it all comes from the same bulk tank, just diffrent labels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie