Trouble with drive shaft - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 18:23   #1 (permalink)

Trouble with drive shaft

I have a 66 Galaxie, 390 Engine. I removed the drive shaft in order to replace U joints. When reinstalling the driveshaft, it will not go all the way back into the transmission. It is about 1/2 inch short of going all the way in. Because of this, I cannot position the rear of the driveshaft into place.

Any ideas? Could it be air trapped in the space in the slip yoke? I have tried for several hours to push it into the transmission and it just won't budge. I am 95% positive that it is positioned properly.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Michael
mpatilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 02:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: Trouble with drive shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatilla
I have a 66 Galaxie, 390 Engine. I removed the drive shaft in order to replace U joints. When reinstalling the driveshaft, it will not go all the way back into the transmission. It is about 1/2 inch short of going all the way in. Because of this, I cannot position the rear of the driveshaft into place.

Any ideas? Could it be air trapped in the space in the slip yoke? I have tried for several hours to push it into the transmission and it just won't budge. I am 95% positive that it is positioned properly.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Michael
Try putting in gear and wriggle the shaft a little as you offer it up . if that does't work have you looked inside the yoke ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:57   #3 (permalink)

OK. I will try that. Do you think it would be best to put it in Neutral?

I looked in the yoke. It is a little dirty but it doesn't looked pitted or damaged in any way. Should I clean it out really good?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:15   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
OK. I will try that. Do you think it would be best to put it in Neutral?

I looked in the yoke. It is a little dirty but it doesn't looked pitted or damaged in any way. Should I clean it out really good?

Thanks for your help.
Yes clean it out ---If it is beyond use I have a spare drive shaft[66 with a 390] complete or just the yoke--bob
bobr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:32   #5 (permalink)

I kind of suspect that my drive shaft is bent. I would be interested in talking to you about the drive shaft, or at least just the yoke. Where are you located?

MP
Old 12-15-2006, 11:23   #6 (permalink)

Michael--you have PM---bob
Old 12-15-2006, 16:56   #7 (permalink)

I pulled the drive shaft out again. I cleaned it as thoroughly as possible and tried to put it back in with the same unsuccessful results. If the yoke is place in there one position off, could this cause the problem?

It is just hard for me to believe that there is damage to the yoke, because it pulled out fairly easily. Why would it not just slide right back in?

Michael
Old 12-15-2006, 18:07   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I pulled the drive shaft out again. I cleaned it as thoroughly as possible and tried to put it back in with the same unsuccessful results. If the yoke is place in there one position off, could this cause the problem?

It is just hard for me to believe that there is damage to the yoke, because it pulled out fairly easily. Why would it not just slide right back in?

Michael
Michael--that yoke is not keyed--should slide in in any orientation--must have damaged it replacing u-joint or the splines in the trans. are damaged---
I'd bet on the yoke having something wrong with it--did you use a vice and clamp the yoke splines in any way??? bob
Old 12-15-2006, 18:58   #9 (permalink)

No, I didn't even use a vise. I just straddled the driveshaft to hold it still while I replaced the joints. It is possible that the yoke could have hit against the floor a couple of times, but I couldn't imagine that could have caused any damage. Can I get access to be able to see the splines up under there without pulling the transmission apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie