What Does 500 Mean? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56   #1 (permalink)

What Does 500 Mean?

What Does 500 Mean?
galaxieguy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 17:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: What Does 500 Mean?

The 500 and 500 XL were the topline models. I used to own a '67 Custom 500. It was slightly more plush (air conditioning, power steering) than a basic Ford Custom.

As far as why they chose the number 500, I think it was to give it a racing type name like Indy 500.
Old 11-07-2007, 18:31   #3 (permalink)

I was trying to figure out the difference between a Galaxie and a Galaxie 500. I thought it had something to do with small or big block or mid size or sedan or full size.
Old 11-07-2007, 20:41   #4 (permalink)

I don't know about the Galaxie, but on the Custom the 500 didn't have anything to do with the engine. Mine had a 289 4v, some of them came with big blocks. I'm pretty certain that it was just about the trim.

It's kind of like the difference between a '67-'73 Cougar and a '67-'73 Cougar XR7. It's all the extra stuff like leather, clock, a/c, etc...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:35   #5 (permalink)

i've always thought the 500 means basically, nothing. it has more to do with the sales department that any model designation.
sgettin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 14:14   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgettin
i've always thought the 500 means basically, nothing. it has more to do with the sales department that any model designation.
It means as much as XLT or LX in a car's name. If you went to a Ford dealership in in the mid 60's, you could buy a Galaxie, a Galaxie 500, or a Galaxie 500 XL. Nobody in their right mind would pay more just to have a few characters added to the end of the car's name.
Old 11-09-2007, 22:53   #7 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Thumbs up Re: What Does 500 Mean?

Hi guys, interesting about the galaxies,
I had a 1963 1/2 galaxie bought brand new in 1963.
Anyway, for 1963 there were numerous models.

Ford 300 2 door and 4 door sedan, no side mouldings or trim. No windshield moulding etc. with very plane interior and exterior. The sedans also had lighter guage metal for the frames, than did hardtops and convertibles.

Ford Galaxie 2 door and 4 door sedans with side moulding spear extending from just the top of the rear bumper along the side panel and the doors.
No moulding on the fender.

Ford Galaxie 500 2 and 4 door sedans and hardtops had full side mouldings, a
wide concave moulding below the trunk lid, windshield moulding and bright mouldings on the doors. Rocker panel mouldings were optional. Lot of regular sedans had only the galaxie name plate and came with the dog dish hubcaps.

The 500 name came from the 500 mile stock car races in the earlier sixties.

Now the Galaxie 500 had more plush interior, backup lights, full standard side trim, rocker panel mouldings were optional, you could order a center moulding for the hood.

The Galaxie 500 XL came with bucket seats and even more plush interior than the Galaxie 500s. And more options were standard on the XL, even had lights at the bottom of the doors, spinner hubcaps. etc. From my years reading about Galaxies the XL stood for EXTRA LIVELY, especially if the had the big block engines. The Fast back or sports hardtop came out in February of 1963,
and of course there were the convertibles too, they were all Galaxie 500s or XLs. Station wagons came also in various plane jane to top line models.
Its just like today, its all on how much money to got and want to spend on a vehicle as they had lots of options.
I presently own a 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 fastback now for just over 20 years.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:58   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmic1
Nobody in their right mind would pay more just to have a few characters added to the end of the car's name.
It's a good thing you prefaced your statement with "Nobody in their right mind", otherwise you would be waaay off on that one. :) People buy all sorts of "stuff" for dumber reasons all the time.

As for the 500 designation, got me yer pbly right.
sgettin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:48   #9 (permalink)

sgettin: That's the exact reason I prefaced my comment. :)

Butchart: thanks for the detailed comment.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:42   #10 (permalink)

Thank you, that makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie