wiring problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2006, 19:46   #1 (permalink)

wiring problem

hello everyone,
i have a 1964 galaxie xl500 fastback.the person i bouhgt it from did not have the front turn signals.i found some -bought them -mounted them and plugged them in.Checked them -both worked!great right -----then i turned the lights on and checked them again--no go-neither of them lit up --any ideas before i start gutting the wiring and realize i have no clue what i am doing.
thanks in advance
joe
joeyt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 21:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: wiring problem

check fuses and grounds

it wouldn't hurt to take out the whole wiring and replacing the ones that dont work...be sure to get a wiring digram

Have Fun
maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:56   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyt11
hello everyone,
i have a 1964 galaxie xl500 fastback.the person i bouhgt it from did not have the front turn signals.i found some -bought them -mounted them and plugged them in.Checked them -both worked!great right -----then i turned the lights on and checked them again--no go-neither of them lit up --any ideas before i start gutting the wiring and realize i have no clue what i am doing.
thanks in advance
joe
The turn signsls do not work with the head lights on, but do with the head light s off? You may have a bad head light switch or fasher. The tuen signal lights do not stay on with the head lights on these old cars like the newer cars, some people think that tthey should and look for a problem, but that is the way they were back then.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 19:41   #4 (permalink)

hello,
thanks for the respones-
the turn signal operate as normal-flashing and lighting up when i do not have the headlights on at night.If i turn the headlights on the turn signals do nothing.I would have to believe even in 64 they had to see the signals at night when the head lights are on.
i checked the ground to the head lamps and it checked out fine-could not seem to find the exact ground for the signals -so i just checked one side of the plug going to the car not the lamp and neither side showed a ground to the body--but when i checked to each other they showed continuity--is this correct?IF the light switch is bad any way to check or just a replace and see thing?again thanks in advance to all that help.
joe
joeyt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:55   #5 (permalink)

I'm sorry but I do not know of a way to check the switch without changing it.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie