won't start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 20:50   #1 (permalink)

won't start

Just bought a 62 Galaxie and it started fine before I had it trailered home and parked a few days. Replaced the coil, battery, plugs, starter solenoid, points, condenser, rotar, distributor cap and plug wires. It's got fuel in the glass filter, and the carb but it just cranks and cranks and doesn't fire. Is there something I'm missing? The voltage regulator perhaps?

Thanks, Brent
brentville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2005, 15:20   #2 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Re: won't start

Is it getting gas, or just 'a liquid'? perhaps it had water in the tank or something...you can put a timing light on it to make sure its both getting spark, and its timing is not way off- if timing chain has jumped a tooth, timing should be way off- kinda hard to tell as without vacuum, wrong rpm, etc it will not be 'in time' but should be within -10/+5 degrees or so of tdc I would guess...might pull plugs again and make sure they arent wet- float bowl may have leaked/flooded plugs out...thats about all the ideas I have- good luck
Old 01-19-2005, 15:51   #3 (permalink)
wasnt me

check all your work, coil wires are right, points are opening/closing, firing order, etc. its amazing how many times i've fixed something, tried it and get the same result as before so naturally you figure its something else when in fact you had replaced the defective part but installed the new one wrong. The voltage regulator isnt involved with starting, just the charging system. go through the basics is all, i'm positive its not the ignition module or the computer
Old 01-19-2005, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390wagon
i'm positive its not the ignition module or the computer
Bet its not a plugged up catalytic converter either : )
Old 01-22-2005, 16:06   #5 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hi, I'm here in Houston TX on vacation, thought I'd check in. You could be out 180 deg on your timing, make sure the timing marker is near the pointer on the pulley damper and your rotor under the distributor camp is at approximately the 1 o'clock position. Is it firing at all? Are the plugs wet or dry. If they are bone dry its not getting gas, check for plugged fuel line. Also if it has an older or original carburetor on it, if so it could be the fuel filter. Sometimes there is a filter screen right where the fuel line enters the carb and it could be blocked. Check the plug wires on the distributor and make sure they are in the right rotation of firing order (anticlockwise)
Even though you have a new condenser it could be faulty. Let us guys know if you get it going and what the problem was, cause we can all learn something by these problems.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:10   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the good advice. The main problem right now is that the weather has been snowy and in the teens for the last week. I don't have enough time to even check the firing order before that tingly frostbite feeling sinks in. I think it's getting gas. The jets on the carb open and squirt fuel. The plugs are wet and smell of gas. I tested the leads going to the coil with a continuity tester and they are fine. Put a plug in the coil wire lead and no spark. I think it's a bad coil or the wrong coil. I'm not sure the local parts houses always provide the correct part for these old cars. When it warms up I plan on cleaning away 40 years of engine grime so I can see if there is a loose ground wire somewhere. I appreciate the help in figuring this out.
brentville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie