Ford Forums banner

70's Utes

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  XRFPV8 
#1 ·
Do many people out there have older Falcon utes? I have owned a 67 xr ute and a 79 xd v8 ute and now I own an 88 xf ute and the worst by far is the XF. I shell out about $3/$4000 a year on repairs and I have just rebuilt the engine and cant get it to stay cool on warm days. I am looking at going back to a late 70's ute and am wondering if its worth owning an older one?

#2 ·
I've got a '79 XC ute. I spent a bit on it when I first got it, now I spend hardly a thing on it. Personally, I'd stick with the XF if you have rebuild the engine, etc. as you'll never get the cash back. With an older ute you would be spending similar cash on it getting it up to a newer standard or you would be spending big $$ buying a fully restored ute. The XF was basically an XD anyway.

Have you replaced the radiator?

#3 ·
hi Obes, get a new one they cost a bit but you never spend money on repairs.

#4 ·
I dont personally think I'd own one of this era again. I think next time an XY or a post 95 sedan.
The new utes dont do it for me.
The XD/E/F era is too much of the mixup of old tech and new tech.

#7 ·
Obes said:
I shell out about $3/$4000 a year on repairs and I have just rebuilt the engine and cant get it to stay cool on warm days.
hi obes, sorry hear about your illness hope you get better,and all goes well . when you get your next ute use that $3/$4000 a year on paying of a desent 2nd hand one.

#8 ·
Yeah, I think you're right Xrfpv8. In the meantime I might buy an old clanger to get me around. My sis has a 98 series2 vs commodore ute, it's not bad but it is rough as guts compared to a falcon and the steering leaves a lot to be desired. Its very direct and dives around alot. Anyway back to the topic, has anyone else had a good or bad run with an old ute?

#9 ·
I've got my hands on an original 1980 XD 351 Cleveland V8 ute. It's taken me 14 years to find the right one.
I thought seriously about spending $60-odd grand on a Pursuit, but as tonyk said, they just don't do it for me.
Ok, that might seem a bit harsh. But having spent some time in a BA ute, there's a number of things I don't like about the new utes, particularly the big blind spot created by the 'A' pillar. Plus also the fact that I'd lose a heap of money after a few years like I did with 2 ED XR series Falcons made me decide to hunt after something a bit rare to find, and shouldn't lose too much money on.
That something was the XD. I've always loved the tough purposeful stance of the XD ute, particularly when they are lowered slightly, with a good set of mags under them.
The fact that she's an original factory 351 just seals the deal!! The best part is that nobody realises what it is until I tell them, and now they are 23 odd years old , they are only going to get rarer. I also have an XF ute (which is for sale now) and she has been a tough reliable beast. I'd much rather chuck in a couple of grand to keep them going, than lose thousands of dollars in reduced new car value. Even by the time 10 years or so pass, the new cars are ready for the tip anyway. They don't build them to last anymore! But my old XD will keep soldiering on.........

Ed :)

#10 ·
Thanks everyone 4 replying, I personally love the xr/xw shape. But the problem is getting one that is in decent condition and the heater/fuel guage/speedo etc. working. I also like the XA/XC shape and am seriously considering going down to Brisbane to buy one. As long as it is reliable and has a heater etc. I would be happy. I am a country bloke and live on a cattle farm, but because of my illness only use my ute to go into town and over to my mates. After the transplant I will be going out west and down south working.

#11 ·
In reply to XD 351 ute, I had a 79 model xd with a 302 cleveland and a celica 5 speed steel case box, It was a good ute and i enjoyed having it but it was heavy on fuel and I had trouble getting the carby tuned to run right at idle. It had awsome power and could light up both wheels in 1st and 2nd gear on bituman easily with a lsd 2.92 ratio diff. It was a tyre and fuel eating machine and I loved it. I only sold it cos I was getting about 250/300 km a tank and thought I could get heaps better fuel economy from a newer ute. I could get about 18 miles per gallon usually from it. At very best I got 21 mpg. I hear landcruisers only get about that much fuel economy. The cruisers I have driven were slow and underpowered. Do u use your ute everyday? Or is it only driven on weekends etc?

#12 ·
After my XB fairmont was written off, I spent about two months trying to find an XA-B-C ute to no avail. There is a serious classic ute shortage in Sydney. I had to settle for an XF. My only consolation is that parts are cheaper and easier to find for the later models.

#13 ·
I have found 2 utes locally, an XB and an XC, both V8's. One is a manual and the other an auto. I just gotta find out if they will sell them. The xc has a fairlane nose put on it and looks, well, different and is not in use at present. It is a 351C on gas and petrol, auto painted a gold colour. Bugger all rust. In fair condition. What is a fair price?

#15 ·
hi obes, that ute looks great, all it needs is the twin head light grill ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.