70's Utes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2003, 05:01   #1 (permalink)

70's Utes

Do many people out there have older Falcon utes? I have owned a 67 xr ute and a 79 xd v8 ute and now I own an 88 xf ute and the worst by far is the XF. I shell out about $3/$4000 a year on repairs and I have just rebuilt the engine and cant get it to stay cool on warm days. I am looking at going back to a late 70's ute and am wondering if its worth owning an older one?
Obes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 15:21   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: 70's Utes

I've got a '79 XC ute. I spent a bit on it when I first got it, now I spend hardly a thing on it. Personally, I'd stick with the XF if you have rebuild the engine, etc. as you'll never get the cash back. With an older ute you would be spending similar cash on it getting it up to a newer standard or you would be spending big $$ buying a fully restored ute. The XF was basically an XD anyway.

Have you replaced the radiator?
Old 09-24-2003, 20:12   #3 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

hi Obes, get a new one they cost a bit but you never spend money on repairs.

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:01   #4 (permalink)
must stay under 0.25 ppd.

I dont personally think I'd own one of this era again. I think next time an XY or a post 95 sedan.
The new utes dont do it for me.
The XD/E/F era is too much of the mixup of old tech and new tech.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:56   #5 (permalink)

I owned a nice XD351 ute....One of the best cars Ive ever owned but saying that a lot of work was done on the old girl.

Regards
Shane
Old 10-07-2003, 02:32   #6 (permalink)

I sold the bloody thing, got nothing for it, but am saving $400 a month on repairs. I would buy a new ute mate but they cost a frickin' fortune. I am on a pension until after my heart lung transplant.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:25   #7 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

[QUOTE=Obes]I shell out about $3/$4000 a year on repairs and I have just rebuilt the engine and cant get it to stay cool on warm days. [QUOTE]

hi obes, sorry hear about your illness hope you get better,and all goes well . when you get your next ute use that $3/$4000 a year on paying of a desent 2nd hand one.

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:56   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, I think you're right Xrfpv8. In the meantime I might buy an old clanger to get me around. My sis has a 98 series2 vs commodore ute, it's not bad but it is rough as guts compared to a falcon and the steering leaves a lot to be desired. Its very direct and dives around alot. Anyway back to the topic, has anyone else had a good or bad run with an old ute?
Old 10-09-2003, 20:00   #9 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

I've got my hands on an original 1980 XD 351 Cleveland V8 ute. It's taken me 14 years to find the right one.
I thought seriously about spending $60-odd grand on a Pursuit, but as tonyk said, they just don't do it for me.
Ok, that might seem a bit harsh. But having spent some time in a BA ute, there's a number of things I don't like about the new utes, particularly the big blind spot created by the 'A' pillar. Plus also the fact that I'd lose a heap of money after a few years like I did with 2 ED XR series Falcons made me decide to hunt after something a bit rare to find, and shouldn't lose too much money on.
That something was the XD. I've always loved the tough purposeful stance of the XD ute, particularly when they are lowered slightly, with a good set of mags under them.
The fact that she's an original factory 351 just seals the deal!! The best part is that nobody realises what it is until I tell them, and now they are 23 odd years old , they are only going to get rarer. I also have an XF ute (which is for sale now) and she has been a tough reliable beast. I'd much rather chuck in a couple of grand to keep them going, than lose thousands of dollars in reduced new car value. Even by the time 10 years or so pass, the new cars are ready for the tip anyway. They don't build them to last anymore! But my old XD will keep soldiering on.........

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:28   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone 4 replying, I personally love the xr/xw shape. But the problem is getting one that is in decent condition and the heater/fuel guage/speedo etc. working. I also like the XA/XC shape and am seriously considering going down to Brisbane to buy one. As long as it is reliable and has a heater etc. I would be happy. I am a country bloke and live on a cattle farm, but because of my illness only use my ute to go into town and over to my mates. After the transplant I will be going out west and down south working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum