Ford Forums banner

AU falcon ute or AUII???

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  johnnyford 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have 18-20k to spend and im looking for a ute, have had my eye on a XR6 but im 21 and insurance is going to kill me.

basically i want something with 50,000-80,000 on the clock, built around 2000 and something that goes well with potential to mod. Not going to V8 route because i want some fuel economy..im a student :beerbottl

So far im either looking at a AU or AUII XLS 4.0L in manual.

Anyone have one? any problems? have heard engine is harsh. Any advice/info would be appreciated ! thanks.

#3 ·
Hmm, everyones opinion is different and depends on what other cars they've driven etc. I guess but personally I would not say the engine is harsh - IMHO Falcon I6's - esp. ones as modern as AU versions are lovely and smooth and quiet etc.

I know there were numerous changes (mostly minor I think) between AU and AU2 whereas AU2-AU3 were hardly any different. Someone here can probably tell you the changes or search the net for 'em and consider if those affect your descision. I can't tell you much else on the engine from experience as I own the eight, but either way I think you can't go wrong looking at that sorta ute. AU series utes are great! :hy:

Steve.

#5 ·
Hey this thread still going? i'll just put in my two cents anyway!!

I've got an AUII XLS 4.0L manual ute. I'm no mechanic lol but mine is going really well. no probs so far and i got it at 95 000kms. have only done about 4,000kms in it so far though...
I would suggest definately getting an AUII over an AU only because of all the problems i've heard of on the forums with AU's but hell if you can find an xr6 with only 50 000 - 80 000kms on the clock for that money i say get it! my ute is fairly good power-wise (much better than my old EL GLi falcon - which i thought was a beast at the time!!!) but i still want a bit more so if you're like me maybe you should consider getting an xr model?? I know the xr8's are still pretty good on fuel depending on how you drive... the utes have 80L tanks on them and i still get only about 600kms to a tank around town, that's an 4.0L i6 with no engine mods so far except the exhaust...

Don't know if any of this helps but i tried ;)

#6 ·
well i hope the AU ute is a goody :)

I have always been a holden man and have a VT SS... and love it.

I needed a ute and was looking around, and i started noticing the price diference between VS utes and AU Utes.

I tested afew AU's and loved the 5 speed straight six!

I just picked one up with 70,000 km for $12,000 it seems like a bargain, and man it goes good! I reckon give my SS auto a run for its money any day!

Its smooth, powerful enough to have fun in, not to sure about the looks yet, but I hear it grows on you if you own one.

Only catch was, it doesnt have alloys, whats a good cheap wheel to put on them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.