Ford Forums banner

BA XR8 Ute...Or a Pursuit?

5K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  cams290 
#1 ·
What made you decide to get a BA XR8 ute rather than a Pursuit?...I know the $15,000+ extra could play a big part in it....but considering my ute comes to about $50,000 on road with the 18s, few mods plus the sports bar etc...and I know other guys have spent a lot more on there XR8 utes than I have.. It is only another $10,000 and you could own a Pursuit.

.....and a question for the Pursuit owners. What made you decide on a your Pursuit ute rather than the XR8?....

#4 ·
LostBoy said:
for me it all came down to dollars and value for money, i couldn't see the extra value in the pursuit, it is still missing a lot of goodies that should be there as they are in the GT.
that and for my going from an AU XR6 to the BA XR8 was a huge jump anyway!
Good points there LostBoy....at least you have good reasons. I was talking to a mate today that said he didn't even know the Pursuit ute existed when he bought his XR8 ute...lol...what a character..

#5 ·
Well rodc, that's a good question...

For me Ford Supplier Discount applies only to Ford product, not FPV, so that clinched it for a start.

Leaving the discount out of it...

If you option on the XR8 Ute all the things the Pursuit has standard you narrow the gap to about $5000. SO the 5k buys you unique seats, some unique bodykit, GT spec wheels (whether you like them or not), interior cosmetic stuff (the dodgy carbon fibre etc.) and datadots. You still don't get leather or prestige sound nor the sports steering wheel.

For me I don't want the hardcover, spoiler or necessarily the bodykit. Premium brakes I'm getting elsewhere and 18"s were borderline for me (they look great but curb scrapes, tyre costs and wear issues all stack up against them). So that adds up to $7500 worth of stuff included in the price of the Pursuit that I don't want as well as compulsory PULP costs.

As it is, the only accesories I really wanted that come standard on the Pursuit are the passenger airbag, alarm and spare alloy totalling about $1500. My XR8 has leather, sound and auto which remain options on the Pursuit anyway and would still cost me over $2000.

What have I left out of all of this, the BOSS290!! This is the ONLY thing I would want that I cannot get in an XR8, and $10,000 or so is alot for 30kw given you could buy a blower instead.

#6 ·
Mate, sit in a Pursuit ute and then a GT and you'll see they didn't give the ute all it deserves. Yet they charge the big dollars. In sedans the XR8 to GT is about $7 or 8k from memory yet in utes the diff between XR8 and Pursuit is more like $15k. Go figure....

It's a hard call. I bought the Pursuit because I thought buying a stock factory car would give me trouble free motoring and easy access to warranty. That was a false assumption so if I had my time again it would be XR8 delivered to Herrods for some real good gear.

#7 ·
Aussie Pete said:
Mate, sit in a Pursuit ute and then a GT and you'll see they didn't give the ute all it deserves. Yet they charge the big dollars. In sedans the XR8 to GT is about $7 or 8k from memory yet in utes the diff between XR8 and Pursuit is more like $15k. Go figure....
Thanks AP, that was the other angle I'd forgotten to mention. Very strange that the jump from XR6T Ute to XR8 Ute is only $1200. I think that Ford were between a rock and a hard place with the XR8 Ute and had to match SS Ute pricing which is very competitive (has the six-stacker standard, not even the Pursuit gets that). If Ford pricing dept. had their way the XR8 Ute would have been about 45-46k. This is one of the only times I will thank that mob in Fishermans Bend.

#9 ·
rod c said:
Madder, I think in June the XR8 will have the six stacker as standard...
XR8 Ute??!! Seems it takes a little while for things to filter through to the Utes. I know the sedans are going to get the stacker and 18s, the SS Ute has a stacker but still has 17s standard, would seem strange for Ford to actually leap-frog the opposition for once.

#10 ·
Madder said:
XR8 Ute??!! Seems it takes a little while for things to filter through to the Utes. I know the sedans are going to get the stacker and 18s, the SS Ute has a stacker but still has 17s standard, would seem strange for Ford to actually leap-frog the opposition for once.
You are probaly right Madder...I thought it would be to good to be true for the ute buyers...

How much is a Pursuit with no options worth now on the road??

#11 ·
i think its about 60grand for a pursuit ute on the road, that is paying the full price the dealer asks.
brand new 2003 models are goin for around 50grand on the road lately
thats a bargain

#12 ·
rod c said:
Madder, I think in June the XR8 will have the six stacker as standard...
Without saying too much I was not aware this was the case....

#14 ·
According to that press release it doesn't say it has to be a June build. So, if your car is built in may you're down the extras? Bummer. And no where does it say FPV GT/Pursuit get the 6 stacker free....

#16 ·
What number are they up to in PURSUIT,s ?
And how many XR8,s are there
Besides that I wanted a new 2 door GT & thats what FPV refers to them as

#17 ·
rod c said:
So the idea of getting a XR8 ute and doing the mods could be a better option even more so now AP...;)
How about the best of both worlds......

#18 ·
i went for the pursuit because when i optioned up the xr8 it was so close in price i couldnt say no
i got leather seats,s/wheel and few other options and i get a great smile on my dile everytime i get into it,i plan to keep it for a long haul,
i say if you can afford it then go for it
also i couldn't buy a ute knowing there was one with more power,but that is just me i guess

#19 ·
Does anyone know for sure if the xr8 ute gets the 6 stack CD if built in may ?
the reason im asking is because i ordered my ute on the 4th of may,and havent got a defiinite delivery date from the dealer yet,although he gave a rough idea of a few weeks from now.
if any1 can help with this ,thanx
Tony.

#20 ·
Those that go pursuits are because they are red blooded males with needs, and that extra 30kw helps satisfy with speed habits lol :p but honestly i couldnt justify the extra 10k to purchase one over a XR8 :shrug:

#22 ·
fat289 said:
What number are they up to in PURSUIT,s ?
And how many XR8,s are there
Besides that I wanted a new 2 door GT & thats what FPV refers to them as
mine is no 255 and $55000 on road 11/03 build and they are 2 door gt's,and boy do they fly!!!
:AAHHH: :AAHHH:

#23 ·
400 meters there is very little differnce, take rodderz 13.62 no chip, with a 13.26 thats rods pursuit thats out on its own....if you are after sheer performance you have to add up is it worth the money...

#24 ·
Madder pokes too much doesn't he?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.