Dec 2003 Madder Mag Ute Comparo – Drive Impressions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2003, 21:56   #1 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Dec 2003 Madder Mag Ute Comparo – Drive Impressions

Last issue we asked the question:

Is there enough room in the Ford BA stable for both the bold XR8 and the tougher XL One-tonner? The Madder team recently had the opportunity for a back-to-back flogging, now read on….

As I negotiated my way out of the carpark I noticed something shared between the two vehicles is the light steering although the XL felt a more responsive. Turning onto the main road out of the dealer I discovered just how much of a torque monster the new Barra really is. A brief inspection prior to climbing in showed that this vehicle, in line with it’s performance appliques, had tyres set up for the ¼ mile. Pressures were down at 20-25psi as is common practice with the straight-line brigade. I almost expected to see some classification notes scribbled on the side window from the previous visit to Calder. As cluey as this setup was it didn’t stop the copious wheel-spin evident as I cut across oncoming traffic. By contrast the XR8 needs a real kick in the guts to provoke this sort of hairy-chested performance. The XL’s tune for low-down torque was clear once everything was back in shape and I was off down the highway. The XR8 has reputation for feeling a bit soft at low revs possibly to protect it’s touch-and-go driveline including the new and unproven “Sports” Sequential Shift Auto. The XL seems to have a “no-holds-barred” approach, which is a real tribute to the bullet-proof column-shift option unfortunately not extended to the XR series.

In traffic the Barra was a beauty. The drive-by-wire in concert with the good tune of the computer ensured spirited pickup without the peakiness of the XR8. Also noted is the smooth, strong power through the range whereas the XR8 has a kick at 3500rpm or so that can be disconcerting compared to its low rev laziness. This characteristic of the XR8 results in a turbo-lag feel not evident in the XL. The light steering of the one-tonner means that cornering can be a bit violent. Thankfully the fabric trim provides grippiness lacking in the optional leather of the XR8, and this, like the contoured steering wheel, inspires confidence. As the Barra was pushed into the higher-revs there is a pure-bred roughness to the engine note that is literally spine-tingling. The superior wider tray took a bit of getting used to as it protrudes more than the XR’s Style-side box, a small price to pay to carry real loads! While I’m on the subject, one can’t go past the simplicity of the tailgate mechanism on the optional Ford tray. The latch of the XR8 has failed me twice resulting in inconvenient time-wasting visits to the dealer. The economy of the Barra also became apparent over the 20km journey from and to our generous dealer. Initially I was alarmed to see that the fuel level was close to empty. I ultimately realised that this was intentional to demonstrate just how little juice the 6-pot needs despite its performance. I returned it with the needle showing barely less than empty. This would show the dealer that I had every confidence that Ford had built a true environmentally-conscious performer, and that they should have no trouble getting to the nearest petrol station on the fumes left in the tank.

Ultimately my time with the XL was too short and I would have loved to have taken it to Sandown where the XR8 has failed me before. Something tells me that this magnificent piece of blue-oval work, the BA Falcon XL 182kw Auto One-tonner would be up to the task and beg for more.
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2003, 22:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: Dec 2003 Madder Mag Ute Comparo – Drive Impressions

bugger, no time to read this....

gunna print this out and read it on the can tonight...

(note this is not a reflection of your literary abilities)
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:20   #3 (permalink)
V8 ute driver!

oh poo, now ya made me go an wonder if i did the right thing by buying an xr8.........."stressin out now"
Any offer considered.
Now driving a 04 BA XR8 Manual Envi ute. Mods to come...
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:21   #4 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Move over Wheels and Motor Mag, we have our own FF motoring journo. Actually it reads like one of those metioned mags comparo, SS vs XR8. Entertaining read Madder.

PS. Madder I think that deserves a new Avatar. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Madder.JPG (8.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by rod c; 12-04-2003 at 12:41.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 15:48   #5 (permalink)
FFing Festive

rodc, you've totally out-classed me with that avatar re-design.

flavze, this report was strategically timed to do just that, stress you out bigtime, not too late to cancel!

XTS220, it's more a case of less is more and more is less.
Old 12-04-2003, 16:14   #6 (permalink)

pure brilliance Madder, I love it... :)

I know cause I traded down from one to this XR8...

How I miss that lovely rubber interior that I could hose out annually... also that rust proof, knock-about aluminium tray, the fantastic, gutter jumping ground clearance.
I could park/abandon it on Coles's front door and not worry. Car wash operators were worried I would damage them.

I didn't want to mention how I miss her, but Madder you've brought all those emotions to the surface....

I WANT MY CAB CHASSIS BACK! :(

None of this "pretty boy" ute stuff, I want a real mans' ute again!
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum