Engine Computer Info (what is stored) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2003, 22:46   #1 (permalink)

Question Engine Computer Info (what is stored)

I have heard a few people on here talk about the ECU?'s holding information about the car and some history.
Is this correct, can ford find out about what kind of driver i am, if it has been driven hard and such? can someone tell me what the computers can actually tell dealers.
poodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2003, 00:32   #2 (permalink)

Not the dealers, Ford Australia's techs can.
steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Can't say for sure about the BA EEC, but older EEC's store info about engine condition, basically to account for wear.

I doubt they hold information about how long you've had your foot flat to the floor, or front wheel revolutions vs rear wheel (ie burnouts) etc
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 18:37   #4 (permalink)

Wont be long before crash investigators start tapping into this sort of info!
Old 03-18-2003, 22:25   #5 (permalink)

BAs stores speed infomation and yes the dealers can access it
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:38   #6 (permalink)

Freeze frame data can be accessed by dealers but there is a lot of stuff that can't be.
steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 07:03   #7 (permalink)
aka "Mr BURNOUTworld"

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieron
Can't say for sure about the BA EEC, but older EEC's store info about engine condition, basically to account for wear.

I doubt they hold information about how long you've had your foot flat to the floor, or front wheel revolutions vs rear wheel (ie burnouts) etc
So basically if the cops suspect you of doing a skid down the road outside your mates driveway then can pull you up and tap into your ECC and see if it was you? Me suspects a hint of Privacy Act breachings! Looks like you can only do a burnout or speed in an old car these days!
Old 03-22-2003, 19:30   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrock
Wont be long before crash investigators start tapping into this sort of info!
Here in the US a rental company had Chev cars with these black boxes and they were able to access the data from it. Then they turned around and charged you extra for violation of the rental agreement as it stated in the fine print that you would drive the vehicle in a manner that didn't violate road rules and proper driving habits etc. Seeing as the black box said you did, as most rentals get to enjoy, you were busted.

They were taken to court and lost their case basd upon non-disclosure and inability to secure the data. I understand the practice has been stopped although who knows if they keep your records for their own information to determine if a car is "available" when you next ask for one.
Aussie_in_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 00:14   #9 (permalink)
must stay under 0.25 ppd.

Quote:
Originally posted by 8EHiND
So basically if the cops suspect you of doing a skid down the road outside your mates driveway then can pull you up and tap into your ECC and see if it was you? Me suspects a hint of Privacy Act breachings! Looks like you can only do a burnout or speed in an old car these days!
Sounds like a good thing...
I'd love to see some f^#*wit get pulled up for doing street burnouts, cry like a baby that it wasnt him and then have the cop show him the date/time etc details from his eec... then take his car away for 30 days.
I just love having my streetscape and property values given a kick in the head by wankers from another neighbourhood in their piles of shit with burnout tyres on them.
Since when was it "OK" to do a burnout and speed?

I do suspect that youre not serious though 8EHiND...
Old 03-24-2003, 16:50   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyk
Sounds like a good thing...
I'd love to see some f^#*wit get pulled up for doing street burnouts, cry like a baby that it wasnt him and then have the cop show him the date/time etc details from his eec... then take his car away for 30 days.
I just love having my streetscape and property values given a kick in the head by wankers from another neighbourhood in their piles of shit with burnout tyres on them.
Since when was it "OK" to do a burnout and speed?

I do suspect that youre not serious though 8EHiND...
hear hear!

if your going to do burnouts dont do it in a residential area or you may just find yourself with four slashed tyres.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum