idea about makin a hard cover for my ute - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2005, 00:39   #1 (permalink)
xc ute

idea about makin a hard cover for my ute

hey all this is a long post sorry

I want to get one of those hard ute covers for my ute ( XC ) but i cant afford the prices they want (student) and i think it would have to be made up specially for the xc.

So i was tossing around some ideas for making one up myself. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

I'm pretty handy with the wood. I was thinkin i could get a big piece of plywood or marine ply (about 10mm thick). I can cut it, shape it and smooth it out fine to make it fit and look good in the back.

I would run a steel/wooden bar around the inside of the ute tray, 10mm or so down from the top, as a support of the lid to sit on.

With some hinges at the front and some gas structs off a bonnet in the middle to hold it up like the proper one......... but then it would still look like a peice of wood.

So i was thinking of spaying it with a couple of a coats of a fibreglass ressin to make it smoother and stronger. Not shore about the ressin idea, im lookin for something that will smooth out the grain in the wood make it water proof and and a a little strength.
So i can then spray paint it to match the car. Not too much work and about $250 bucks i rekon ???

Questions

Whats the story with the resin what type do you think i will need? Other possibilities?

Do you think water would get trapped between the lid and the lid support causeing rot or rust? Way around this???

Do you think this will be strong enough to support some weight on it encase dickheads put stuff on it or will i need to strenthen it more underneath? Wooden bar strenthin underneath????

Lock for it? Thinking about rippin off the lockin system of a old roller door from the tip.

Please reply with any comments or ideas
cheers chartoo
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2005, 19:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: idea about makin a hard cover for my ute

I've seen a guy make one from sheet Aluminium , and it was hinged in the middle and covered in vinyl . Looked good .
Just spray the timber with primer/putty , and it will fill any grain , use an acrylic paint with the flexible additive they use for painting plastic bumpers to help stop the paint from cracking . Marine ply shouldn't rot in a hurry .
You may want to use something like resin to fill the end grain , just call a Marine/sailing supply shop to see what they use.
If you want the tub to be waterproof , you will need to make the lid fit
on top of the tray not inside it , and fit some rubber strip underneath .
Aluminum box section would work well for bracing .
I you put some thought into it , I think it would work fine .
Let us know how you go .

Cheers
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 22:22   #3 (permalink)
xc ute

cheers
thats some things that i didnt think about
Old 04-26-2005, 04:52   #4 (permalink)

you should try fibreglass, the most expensive bit would be the mould. chat to a local supplier, they should be able to help you out. make the mould yourself. I've done a few bits for cars and for uni projects over the years and most fibreglassers are pretty good. A couple of 18mm MDF sheets glued and screwed with a strengthening rib or 2 down the guts would do the trick. then you could paint it body colour, nothing looks better. unless its a chunky arse piece of chequer plate on bush bashing pig hunter!!!!!

check your local ford dealer, they will probably sell the stainless hardware, hinges, locks and the like. just beat the bloke around the head until you feel like he's not ripping you off!!!!
BAV8XLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:06   #5 (permalink)
xc ute

cool

Any more ideas???? really appreciated

chartoo
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum