knocking sound/banging - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 02:09   #1 (permalink)

knocking sound/banging

Ive got a au2xl ute,wellbody,and every time i go over bumps ,kerbs,speedhumps im getting this banging ,knocking sound from underneath.Now the exhaust is fine ,i had the recall done on the steering and the dealer (apprentice)said the trays banging and that it needs some foam wedged in between at a cost of $136 .I just laughed and drove it away.Its defo not the tray.It kinda sounds like a broken shock.It even does when taking a sharp turn.Now i did read a thread a while back and someone said that a loose (i dont remember what its called)makes a similar noise.any help would be glady appreciated.cheers.
CLARKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 05:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: knocking sound/banging

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARKEY
Ive got a au2xl ute,wellbody,and every time i go over bumps ,kerbs,speedhumps im getting this banging ,knocking sound from underneath.Now the exhaust is fine ,i had the recall done on the steering and the dealer (apprentice)said the trays banging and that it needs some foam wedged in between at a cost of $136 .I just laughed and drove it away.Its defo not the tray.It kinda sounds like a broken shock.It even does when taking a sharp turn.Now i did read a thread a while back and someone said that a loose (i dont remember what its called)makes a similar noise.any help would be glady appreciated.cheers.
Clarkey
occasionally I get the same knock au 2 XR6 ute ,im guessing its the exhaust hitting something Ive got to be going abit quicker that normal on a rough road or a speed hump for it to knock,I might have a bit of a look for rub marks tommorrow if I get a chance.
PS .Did you get a letter sent to you for the recall,as late AU 2s dont need the recall to be done is yours a 2001 model
Old 07-15-2004, 01:30   #3 (permalink)

Yeh i got the letter.Mines a 6/2000.Ive checked the exhaust xr and it seems to be fine.someone said today to check the sway bar.Its starting to wind me up.Thanks for the reply .
Old 07-15-2004, 01:34   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

there was an AU recall for the steering, check into that one if I was you

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:53   #5 (permalink)

Sorted the problem today.You arent going to believe this.I took it down to WA
suspensions today and they came for a drive.The mechanic ,who by the way is a top bloke,said it was a definite clonk ,bang etc.Put it up on the hoist and tightened evrything he could see.Lowered the hoist ,looked in the right back wheel arch and there was a stone ,the size of a 10 cent piece,wedged in between the chassis and top of the leaf spring.Had to get it out with a screwdriver ,no more banging.I told him the ford dealer said it was the tray banging and he just laughed.A month ago i was sliding around on some pea gravel ,like you do ,obviously i picked it up then.You could see where it had been rubbing.Thanks for the help guys
Old 07-22-2004, 01:54   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
suspensions today and they came for a drive.The mechanic ,who by the way is a top bloke,said it was a definite clonk ,bang etc.Put it up on the hoist and tightened evrything he could see.Lowered the hoist ,looked in the right back wheel arch and there was a stone ,the size of a 10 cent piece,wedged in between the chassis and top of the leaf spring.Had to get it out with a screwdriver ,no more banging.I told him the ford dealer said it was the tray banging and he just laughed.A month ago i was sliding around on some pea gravel ,like you do ,obviously i picked it up then.You could see where it had been rubbing.Thanks for the help guys
Nice one clarkey, I love happy endings.
jon960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:54   #7 (permalink)
XY Ute

We had an au ute at the last place i worked, same problem, turned out to be the spare wheel carrer bracket, at least thats what the local ford dealer told us.
Hope this helps
Wolf159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:51   #8 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

Quote:
LOL - I've had the exact same thing happen twice - damn rocks! :err: Because the rock is rubbing against the chassis the noise reverberates through the car very well indeed - was quite disturbing the first time I heard it but second time it happened I guessed it straight away hehe.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 21:10   #9 (permalink)

Love those WA ball bearing dirt roads...........
Softride Powerwing
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum