lowering Suspension in XR8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2005, 21:13   #1 (permalink)
Smoke

lowering Suspension in XR8

I just bought a XR8 ute, & would like to lower it but with leafs in the back end in not to sure about the handling after its been done, the bloody things are almost flat as they are, The more power you get out of your car the more work you put on the ass end, you try dropping 20mm & hows the beast going to handle then.!!. anyone done it before & how does it handle???
Smoke BOSS 260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 00:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: lowering Suspension in XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke BOSS 260
I just bought a XR8 ute, & would like to lower it but with leafs in the back end in not to sure about the handling after its been done, the bloody things are almost flat as they are, The more power you get out of your car the more work you put on the ass end, you try dropping 20mm & hows the beast going to handle then.!!. anyone done it before & how does it handle???
Smallest vlocks I know of are 35mm , you can have the rears reset a little , best to go talk to an expert in your town
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:00   #3 (permalink)

have a look at your springs at the bottom of your springs you will see two packers so that the standard brackets will work with two less springs just put the two spacers on top of the springs hey presto 20mm drop for 5 minutes work and totally free. also if you have the factory tow bar it sits under the spring hanger lifting your ute by about 5-10mm
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:44   #4 (permalink)
Smoke

cedric,
What about the handling, thats a big concene for me, i dont want to through anything out by doing it, plus wont the front end need doing at the same time, & is there any little tricks for that as well.
Old 10-27-2005, 14:20   #5 (permalink)
Big Red Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke BOSS 260
cedric,
What about the handling, thats a big concene for me, i dont want to through anything out by doing it, plus wont the front end need doing at the same time, & is there any little tricks for that as well.

I had the rear springs completely re-tempered and then put a 1 inch block in as well to do a 2 1/2 inch lower overall. There is a formula for the Brutes to do this and the spring shop will have that.
I also put 9 1/2 " wheels (x 19) on the rear and 8 1/2 x 19 on the front.

the thing is like a go cart and just sticks like crazy. My engine is now 217rwkw (about 280Kw at the engine) and with the cam etc quite direct in when it supplies power. The ute feels far far better than the standard XR8 car . Handling is evertyhing and you want confidence that it will not step out or let go on you.
This supplies the stick to allow the chassis to work and twist nicely - you can feel the chassis working in corners with the throttle.

It is not expensive but has to be done right, not just for turning but also for braking.

Fill yourboots and get a ute go-Kart
MKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 20:47   #6 (permalink)
Smoke

MKELLY,
Your right on the braking part, i was coming down a hill the other week at about 160km/hr, jumped on the brakes hard to see how she would handle & the back end lifted & kicked out sideways, ,the old pucker valve was working over time, it wasn't a good feel, i have to find a balance here as far a handling & ride goes.
Like you say, your car handles like a go-kart, & i bet it you feel every bump in the road as well,
So this is where i have to decide whether i want to stay alive at high speeds & have a go-kart or i can leave my suspension the way it is & slow down & drive like Grandpa & have a smooth ride.

Ok i've decided!!!! the go-kart ride, much more fun.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:39   #7 (permalink)

hi, hope your enjoying your new ute. i still grin every time i turn the key and ive had mine 14 months. as for the springs it depends why you want to lower it, if you are using it for as your car and not putting heaps off gear in the back it will definitly make it handle the corners better, but make sure you get a good spring rate to keep it riding nicely-not bouncing across uneven roads, and get some shimms put on the camber bolts to give a bit more adjustment or you will cut your inside edges on the front tyres ,mine cut thru to the wire in 3 months before i got the shims put in. i lowered mine 25mm and put 18'' wheels on and it drives so much better on the open road than a standard ute, i kept the factory springs and brought king springs and new leaf springs for $700 installed and are really happy with the results. good luck and watch out for gutters and driveways because mine scappes quite often and its only an inch lower than factory.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:36   #8 (permalink)
Smoke

Mate, i'm enjoying it as as much as someone can when they are not in the country, i've had mine for 7wks & have been out of the country for 5wks, have 4 days to go before i'm back home & it will be the first thing i do as i get out of the wife's car & step strait into the BOSS.

The most i'll be putting in the back is a set of golf clubs & mabe some suitcases for a trip down south, so as far a weight goes, but it does concern me a little that you are hitting kerbs & the like with only a 25mm drop, i would've thought that it would still be fine at that hight, i will have to think about this alittle more, the hardest thing for me now is, i cant go outside & check, will have to wait a few days for that.

Thanks for the heads up on the camber bolt shims, that could've been an exspencive little mistake for myself.
Old 11-07-2005, 14:25   #9 (permalink)

just thought i would attach a couple of ride height pics for you, luckily there was a 375ml vb stubbie in the fridge to give you some idea of ground clearance, even though it scrapes occassionly i love the handling.now where's that stubbie....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1033_2_1.JPG (116.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1034_1_1.JPG (124.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1035_3_1.JPG (134.0 KB, 235 views)
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 21:55   #10 (permalink)
Smoke

Mate,

if thats 25mm, then i won't be going that low, i live in the city & dont need the hassel with all the Kerbs & speed humps, I don't know what your roads are like over there, but here in the West, they get pretty bad out in the country, & would be scraping everywhere.
Thanks for the pics. give's me a good idea on what it will look like after a drop,

by the way, you need to get the missus out there to wash the old girl,

cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum