MadMobile Chronicles Episode 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2003, 18:06   #1 (permalink)
FFing Festive

MadMobile Chronicles Episode 2

Whole pick-up process having taken almost two hours, finally I’m on the road. Gently does it, not yet understanding what lie beneath my right foot. Cruised at the 80 limit up the main drag very watchful for any enemies (ie. all other drivers) that might want to merge with me. Visibility, I quickly found, is one of the funnest aspects of the ute. A head-check for other vehicles is basically useless, just clench and assume that people will make way. Even though I didn’t go for a loud colour, I think it’s safe to assume that people are unlikely to “not see” 5metres and 1800kg of brute-metal.

Anyway I get to the first turn-off, cutting towards home, straighten it up and thought “what happens when I do this?”…….WOOOOOF…..4grand and the beast rears it’s head. First thing to cross my mind was “MUMMMYY! The bad thing is scaring me!” and second “mental note, new fetish, must do again.”

Took it easy the rest of the way home to Mrs. Madder. Frantically we loaded up the cab, showed off to the neighbours (Falcon Ute Fans) and set-off. First stop the outlaws for more showing-off. Mrs. Madder’s step father; “not bad, looks like a Holden now”. First thing to cross my mind was “where’s the wheel-wrench” and second “mental note, must lure into ute, lock the doors, release the beast, tame the lion”. Decided to leave the unworthy and quickly onto the freeway for the 200k drive to Bendigo.

Mrs. Madder settled right in to the leather and cranked up the sound (unfortunately drowning out that other sound). I had already loaded it full of CD’s myself as a check at pick-up and so was rightly happy with the soundtrack. Noticed that the tweeters in the pillars are pretty effective bouncing off the windscreen. All in all it was a bit of an edgy drive as the nerves were a bit overloaded with all the excitement mixed with dark and sometimes dodgy roads. Hardly had a chance to admire the bulge I was being so focussed on the road ahead.

Had to struggle with three things for the whole trip:

The urge to push the go-pedal.
The urge to turn on the foggies.
The ridiculously light-steering at freeway speeds.

Had to admire another three things for the whole trip:

Excellent cabin comfort from seats to stereo.
Instruments look horn at night.
Hills do not exist.

The one thing that really frustrated me was the electronic, knee-activated, throttle limiter. My bloody knee kept colliding with the boxy remote hanging from it’s chain. Very silly stuff as it was seriously interfering at some points. Have replaced the keyring with a smaller one but it’s still a problem.

Got to the Brian Boru Irish pub 2 and a 1/4 hours and 200k later. Realised this beast is going to make me a tea-totaller. I am happy to forgo the drink to be totally “there” when driving it. Sprung it on me dad and one of my sisters. How I kept it a secret for four months I don’t know but anyway they were blown away. Drove back to the folks and put it in the car port where my mom parks. She pulled in home from work at midnight and came in asking “what’s that thing in the backyard about”. Funny thing I keep getting is “obviously not thinking about kids then?”. Course we are, put a plastic dropsheet in the back, fill it with water and presto, mobile wading-pool. Kids have gotta love it.

Next episode… time to have some fun.

Stay tuned for the next chapter of the Madmobile Chronicles. Same Mad time, same Mad channel.
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2003, 18:27   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Re: MadMobile Chronicles Episode 2

The HAD-T can't get close to that noise above 3600rpm can it????

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 19:21   #3 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Fantastic article Madder, keep ‘em coming. Best of luck restraining yourself re urge to push on go pedal. You’ll need to save money on speeding fines so you can spend it on fuel!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 22:43   #4 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Re: Re: MadMobile Chronicles Episode 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
The HAD-T can't get close to that noise above 3600rpm can it????
Absolutely awesome Took a colleague for a test drive who has a mate with a turbo ute. He was heaps more impressed with the Boss even though the he is a bit of a fast-fours, turbo guy. I can't say with any authority myself, test-drove the XR6, ordered the XR8 without even sitting in one. Skipped over the T completely.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:20   #5 (permalink)
walking power

Mate the way you describe your orsm beast just makes me want to run to a Ford dealer and sign up(well sooner than i should).
Old 08-26-2003, 02:12   #6 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy
Mate the way you describe your orsm beast just makes me want to run to a Ford dealer and sign up(well sooner than i should).
Just getting started Fordy, that was just Friday night. Saturday and Sunday to come. And I don't know myself what the machine is going to unleash on me into the future.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:44   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Good pub that Brian Boru isn't it.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:59   #8 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Good pub that Brian Boru isn't it.
Yeah, last time I was there it was great. This time the kitchen was closed by the time we got there and I would love to have had a few pints of Guinness, but I wasn't gonna hand my keys over to anyone. Mrs. Madder didn't get a drive until I'd clocked 500k's (I did offer her the wheel but she refused, so understanding, gotta love her).
Old 08-26-2003, 03:16   #9 (permalink)
walking power

Well i look forward to the next one although im not sure i should read it especially if they're anything like the first two.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:28   #10 (permalink)
Movin!

I have a ball in my ute too, dont you just end up taking the long way everywhere just to go to the shop or wherever?

If you think the zorst sounds good stock, get an aftermarket jobbie such as herrods, it really enhances the already horn note
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum