MadMobile Chronicles Episode 4 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2003, 19:10   #1 (permalink)
FFing Festive

MadMobile Chronicles Episode 4

Woke up on Sunday…YEP, still there, YEP wheels still on (boy I’d be paranoid if I’d sprung for the 18”s). Had a nice brekky with Mrs. Madder. Then it was Bunnings-Time to commence the first project of Operation MadMobile… wire-rope harness systems for the dogs. Don’t want them bailing out when they here the growl of a dominant beast. Fortunately the roads had dried out (momentarily) so it was time to hit the test-track for some “spirited driving” (love that term, used often in the Owners Manual). Cruised along the 70-80k roads that wind through the back hills to the road in question. Noted just how grippy and well planted the ute feels on these smooth, well-made roads. The second of these roads winds through some really nice overhanging forest and ends with a roundabout. The left curves steeply up-hill even as you’re leaving the roundabout. This is where I’m going. As I’m leaving the curve the power is on. Being so steep the rear just digs in as I plant it and I hear the tremendous rush as the Boss hauls 1900kg or so to 80ks by the time I reach the top. Ease of over the crest and give it some more up the next hill. Doesn’t work so hard this time. Down through a tightish bend. Not too adventurous here as the road’s rough as hell along with a smattering of loose gravel. Bend empties into a downhill straight. Nothing to do but coast down into the valley at the bottom. Valley curves to the base of another steep hill. And the Boss gets a workout again. Crest the hill at 90 and then it’s a couple of gentle down hill curves leading to a long downhill straight. Use the shifter for a bit of engine braking down to the roundabout at the other end. Do an about turn and tackle the long uphill straight the other way taking it up to about 4500 in each gear. Music to the ears (strangely enough I haven’t once felt the urge to use the stereo in my first week of ownership). Didn’t push it to hard going back but was heaps of fun none-the-less.

I did eventually make it to Bunnings by which time it was raining, talk about timing. On the way home took it out onto the highway, three lanes clear, nothing in front or behind. Gave it some up the hill and…hear we go…engine revs big-time as the rear-end snakes. Being the average driver that I am I’m glad to have an auto. Both hands on the wheel is a must as the rear momentarily struggles for traction and direction. Ease off quickly and cruise home. So continues the unfolding relationship between brute and driver. Not sure just which one is in control here.

Backed the ute into the garage, took the tonneau off and sat in the back for a good part of the afternoon working on the industrial grade harnesses with the windows down, stereo blaring.

Later took the neighbour (ex AU ute owner, had to sell to buy a work van) around the hills in slightly wetter conditions than the morning. Fishtailed up the first steep hill took it a bit easier for the rest of the run.

All in all an awesome first weekend in the MadMobile.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE MADMOBILE AT HOME

Stay tuned for the next chapter of the MadMobile Chronicles. Same Mad time, same Mad channel.
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2003, 19:59   #2 (permalink)
walking power

Re: MadMobile Chronicles Episode 4

Keep them coming Madder.

I'll be on my way to my local dealer soon.
Old 08-27-2003, 21:03   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I'm doing special dog boxes that fit the rear tray area. PM me a fax number and I'll send sketches. I found that with the harnesses the dogs swap sides all the time and evaentually I have to get out and untangle their sorry furry souls (that's why we're the masters I guess).

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 21:41   #4 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Well written Madder, I think you are going to give Russ a run for his money about a story on his GT. Do you feel the need for any mods or are you happy with it standard?
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Re: Re: MadMobile Chronicles Episode 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
I'm doing special dog boxes that fit the rear tray area. PM me a fax number and I'll send sketches. I found that with the harnesses the dogs swap sides all the time and evaentually I have to get out and untangle their sorry furry souls (that's why we're the masters I guess).
Thanks AP. Will give the harnesses a go this weekend and take some pics. If they to end up a pitiful tangled mess I'll drop you a message.
Old 08-28-2003, 23:04   #6 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod c
Well written Madder, I think you are going to give Russ a run for his money about a story on his GT. Do you feel the need for any mods or are you happy with it standard?
Want to let it mature past 15000k's or so to really loosen up. The main prob is that I don't want to plough too much money into it that can't be recovered at resale time. Have already spent too much in the first place. But, having said that, if the performance and sound lose their shine then who knows what'll happen. As you'll see in the next episode it may be more of a priority to update Mrs. Madder's ride first.
Old 08-28-2003, 23:31   #7 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod c
"Standard" seems a funny word to describe a BA XR8 ute that has'nt been modified. There is nothing Standard about them! when I look back at it.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum