Opinions on restored XY utes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 02:53   #1 (permalink)
metal boy

Opinions on restored XY utes

I'm in the market for a daily driver ute!
I've considered BA's and AU's but can't really afford them, I only have about $15,000 to spend on an actual ride (not including ORC's).

I would love something older, in good condition or even restored, not too many k's on it, something like this XY would be awesome;
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au..._ad.cgi?ad=147

Has anyone had experience with the XY? Pro's/con's?
What are they like to drive/park?
What about insurance? (I'm m/21/syd)

Alternatively, what about XD/XE utes also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 04:42   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: Opinions on restored XY utes

Mate that look's like a lovely vehicle with all the goodies but if your after a daily driver than this isn't the vehicle for that, especially if your in Sydney, XY's are a great vehicle but a top loader could be a hassle to dive in the city, I'd stick to a late model Falcon ute and then when you can afford it get something like this XY for weekend cruissing.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:30   #3 (permalink)

Yeah XYs are virtually collectors item now so u will be paying premium price (and always working to keep it on the road).Go for a later model (under 10 yrs old) and spend the balance of ya money on mods .
XH,XR6_UTE,Jim Mock dev 3 cam ,K&N flat panel filter,17" Speedy Longchamps, Hurricane headers, 2 1/2 " exhaust , high flow cat, single muffler, Pollished alloy sportsbar,rear sway bar,side skirts , bonnet scoop,bonnet protector, headlight protectors, Pioneer mp3, 6" door/A pillar mounted pioneer splits , 4"dash mounted spks.
Member:NQ PERFORMANCE FORD CLUB.
XR6_uteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:22   #4 (permalink)

If its a bit of a hotted up 351, it wont like traffic too much. I had a 351 XD in my low 20's as a daily driver and it kept me broke. If you can afford it, and live in the outskirts, go for it. As my name sugests, i go for the xd/xe beasts, but i do like what i saw in the picture. Your only young once ah.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:32   #5 (permalink)
kickerinthegutsbarry

I've had a few of these old utes, and they are a bit of a beast to drive everyday, however they are quite cheap to insure, and one with a efi windsor and power steering
cauld still be a capeble daily driver/headturner.

apolloxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 18:07   #6 (permalink)

I bought my AU xls for 14,300. But that is one nice tuff ute.
slippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:56   #7 (permalink)

XYs are GREAT!!!
Here is ours - on road soon...
http://www.ftw.com.au/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=36

I have been using a ZC Fairlane as a daily driver for the last 14 years, 7 with a Cleveland and 7 with a 250 2V.
We've just shifted all the running gear (and the Fairlane front end) into the XY ute and are just fixing the sills and quarters for rust...

The Falcons/Fairlanes of this vintage are great to work on and loads of parts from Falcons up to XF fit right on so parts are easy to get.

The 6 cylinder makes for a great daily driver - cheaper rego, fuel, insurance and handles like a dream. (MUCH less nose heavy than with the Clevo)
C4 Auto with external cooler (bypass radiator completely) gives no trouble at all.

If you can find a good XY, I'd go for it.

Watch out for rust under the guards at the bottom of the windscreen, under the windscreen rubber, in the radiator crossmember, in the panel between the door and the rear wheelarch, sills etc...
It can all be repaired pretty easily, replacement panels readily available if you can find a good shop to do the repairs for you.
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 20:52   #8 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

I have an XY ute and XG ute. The XY is a 302 / C4 and is great cruising car (or it was before the accident) but for day to day use you need a/c, p/s and a few more creature comforts. There are a few nice XH XR6's running around for around $10k.

Pick up a nice XH or AU XLS and get a project XY with the change before the prices make them unabtainable
Old 08-09-2004, 03:01   #9 (permalink)

my xy ute, with a twist. im open for offers, has a fully rebuilt 9" disc rear 3.5 LSD and shortened to xy width.
http://www.fordgallery.com/showphoto...cat/500/page/1
Old 08-11-2004, 05:40   #10 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge
my xy ute, with a twist. im open for offers, has a fully rebuilt 9" disc rear 3.5 LSD and shortened to xy width.
http://www.fordgallery.com/showphoto...cat/500/page/1
That is nice - where about's in Bris are you. I could be interested - be easier than rebuilding my XY after crash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum