Outback ute in the Outback - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 09:18   #1 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Outback ute in the Outback

Last couple of weeks I have been in SA in the Flinders Ranges & up the Oodnadatta Track to William Creek and Lake Eyre North, etc then back through Broken Hill. Did roughly 5500km in the 2 weeks.

Here is a pic of my ute at Lake Torrens (shhh, don't tell anyone it was a 4wd only road)

If there is any interest I can put up some more details of my trip & some more pics.

Cheers,
John.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2004, 10:37   #2 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Re: Outback ute in the Outback

hi John post more pics tell us where the pics were taken and where you are....

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 17:56   #3 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

I'm back home & back at work now - and damn it's cold! Will post some more tonight.
Old 04-27-2004, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Here is a pic of my ute at Lake Torrens (shhh, don't tell anyone it was a 4wd only road)
Your secrets safe with us O_B...lol...great pic of the ute. Did you get into any sticky situations travelling on a 4 wheel drive track only?
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 22:13   #5 (permalink)
fpv pursuit no 255

john you could be ford forums own UTEMAN!!
fpv pursuit no 255 lightning strike with leather,prem sound and no stripes, thanks to my wife mrs forte au2 . winner of the LONGEST DISTANCE TRAVELLED award all ford day albury-wodonga 2004 and maybe 2005 " my name is marcos ambrose i'm talented and i'm fast i'm here to claim victory i won't be coming last i'm am the devil racer and i am #1 so buckle up and brace yourself cause there's plenty more to come"
xr8 utey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Not quite utey! Have you seen write-ups of his trips?

Rod - no dramas really, mostly they weren't worse than most of the normal roads except not graded as often. You did come across a bit of sand or bigger bumps/holes though. I scraped a rear mudflap a couple of times going through large dips (at walking pace), and needed to take care to pick the best line to avoid deeper ruts, ridges, etc but that is normal. Mind you all this was in the dry with no threat of rain - I'd stay well away if it was wet! Which is normal for all the roads up there too, they close them so they don't get damaged while muddy.

I did go up one steep hill (just for interest, a detour) which was a bit too steep and because of the bumps & holes couldn't go fast enough to keep the momentum up, ended up around 600rpm, wishing for a lower gear!
Old 04-28-2004, 00:59   #7 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
hi John post more pics tell us where the pics were taken and where you are....
Would be good if you could mate...sounds like an interesting trip for you and your ute..
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:08   #8 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Ok, I have got some more pics to post, so here goes in order of appearance.

An unusual looking cloud over the Flinders Ranges north of Hawker

At Marree - Tom Kruse Birdsville mail truck (saw another one in Port Augusta too) with Marree Hotel in background.

Old wells at Coward Springs, on the Oodnadatta Track which was one of the stations on the old Ghan railway.

On the way out to Lake Torrens from the opal mining town of Andamooka which is 30km east of Roxby Downs.

The remains of the Redstone rocket which were retrieved from where they fell in the desert, on display at Woomera.

Once I had done that loop I headed north from Port Augusta into the Flinders Ranges again.

This is the view from Sillers Lookout, which is the final point on the Ridge Top Tour at Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary, looking east to Lake Frome (~50km away) which you can just see over the hills. You might have seen this tour on TV, I think it was on Getaway or something - it is fantastic. You travel out into the hills on a mining exploration track. One way of gauging how rough and steep it is, is the fact that the tyres on the Landcruisers wear out in 6000km! The views and scenery are incredible.

This is the hill I went up, the track to the right goes around the bottom of the hill. Not a fantastic photo as it was taken through the windscreen.

This is the view back down the hill, note that the camera has a wide-angle-ish lens so the hill and the bumps appear a lot flatter than they actually are.

This is part of the southern Flinders Ranges near Wilmington.

There are a lot more photos but a lot of them are of the featureless plains from Roxby Downs down to Port Augusta (got to do something to occupy yourself on that road), and also more of the rugged hills in the northern Flinders Ranges. Unfortunately by the time I got to Wilpena Pound the memory card was full, but at least I did get some shots on film from St Mary's Peak.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:49   #9 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

oww very nice pics john, did you go for a ride in the Birdsville mail truck lol..
john who went with you on this trip, and did you have any problems with your ute and what was the most you paid for a litre of petrol and how many klm's did you cover....
looks like 4WD Country....

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:06   #10 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Nah, couldn't get it started Mark I think the battery was flat. I went on my own for most of it but had my sister along for the ride for some. Petrol was $1.05 at Marree and 105.3 at Olympic Dam, I'm guessing it was dearer at William Creek but I didn't need any. It was also 92.9 in Port Augusta. I did 5500km total in 2 weeks, haven't added up how much fuel yet. Covered a few kms on foot too but the odometer was not working.

The only problem with the ute was the exhaust pipe after the rear muffler fell off, there was a small hole at the join which I guess started a crack. Not sure when it went, I noticed it was gone one morning. I have acquired a couple of small dents in the sills from rocks (haven't checked underneath yet!) and I think the air cleaner will be due for a new filter. Also over halfway due for the next service, I only serviced it three weeks ago today.

I was also quite happy not to have had any punctures at all, especially given the hammering the tyres got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum