Ute Accessories - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2003, 17:23   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

mad Ute Accessories

I ordered and finally received my ute accessories:
- cabin tidy
- sports bar
- rope rail kit
- motorbike kit

Well, let me say with all honesty after trying to fit these things I'm not happy

I started taking photos however before long I realised my tech thread showing people how to fit them would be a waste. Not much went right.

A key issue is this. Why does Ford put in a bed liner that requires removal every time you want to fit an accessory? Why not have the holes there already? Why make people drill holes through the sides of their new car?

Some major points:

1. No one ever told me the rope rail kit interferes with the sports bar (so you have to 'modify' one to make them fit)

2. Same with the motorbike kit which uses the same mount point as the rope rail kit

3. The motorbike kit came with bolts that were at least 20mm too short for the rear tie downs (M6 x 20mm - I eventually needed M6 x 40mm), and 10-15mm too short for the front (in order to achieve thread safety in the anchor nut. Two needless trips chasing bolts from hardware stores!

4. The sports bar requires fitment of a nut and two washers between the cab and the tray - a job for slinky asian children with small hands - even with the car jacked up. I ended up tack welding the nut in place.

5. The motorbike kit front mount was already rusting. Now of course I need to chase a warranty claim etc etc (more damn time chasing rubbish)

6. The motorbike kit makes you drill holes into the tailgate metal structure. Fine I guess except it's a cavity and all the swarf is trapped. I spent close to half an hour with a magnet trying to remove all the swarf. I wonder if a dealer fitting this kit would bother?

Sorry, overall these kits took an entire day to fit when if Ford had provisioned for them in the first place it could have taken 1 hour. And at next to zero cost!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2003, 21:25   #2 (permalink)
blue blooded

I was going to get some of those ... not so sure now

pity you had to go through that AP but atleast you know it has been done properly

xr6t ute (289rwkw and fast) & blown Mustang Cobra (347 rwkw and faster)
svtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 23:14   #3 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

yeah its easier to get the dealer to fit them for nothing in pre-delievery. Ive had a look at the sports bar setup in mine with the tie rails and i cant work out what needs to be modified.
Old 04-27-2003, 23:16   #4 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

BTW AP did you have to take those little plug things out to use the stardard soft cover for the back of the ute, as i know you went from hard top to sports bar.

You would have had to re-rivit those little round things in too wouldnt ya?
Old 04-28-2003, 04:47   #5 (permalink)

Removed all the tie down rails and Motorbike kit from my old AUXR8 when I traded it , had them re powder coated ready for my BAXR8 and experienced the same sort of fun when I went to install. The AU at least had speed nuts behind the tub liner the BA had self tapping hex- head bolts , think they went backwards on that one .
aussiechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
Proudly Average

what's a motorbike kit, guys? my bike kit for the f-100 consisted of a dozen occy straps and couple of bricks... never dropped a bike either :-p
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 14:24   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like the kits were more of an afterthought than properly planned, I would have expected better. anyway as svtang said at least you know the work was done properly.

Tony
XR6HOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 16:55   #8 (permalink)

The mbike kit consists of a front bar with two tyre/wheel brackets, rear tie downs/tailgate holders, and a ramp. It allows you to carry two bikes properly tied down and the tailgate help up against the back wheels.

Just thought of something - I need to check that the hardcover fits with the rope rails (the gas struts might interfere). If this is the case I'm gonna go ballistic!!!!

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:23   #9 (permalink)

does it fit with the rope rails ??? just ordered a ute lid myself and might have to go balistic with you .

let us know .
aussiechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 15:33   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by aussiechris
does it fit with the rope rails ??? just ordered a ute lid myself and might have to go balistic with you .

let us know .
I need a second person to fit the hardcover so I don't know. Looks like it may be okay.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum