Which ute - AU or BA?> - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2003, 16:46   #1 (permalink)
metal boy

confused Which ute - AU or BA?>

Planning on buying a ute sometime next year, and I like to do my research early, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on either side of the equation;

Depending on how much cash i have to work with (maybe $20,000-$25,000 but still not sure) I will either go a used AU2/AU3 XR6 ute, or a used BA XLS, or perhaps the BA XR6 NA if i can afford it.

Ideally, if i can only afford a BA XLS, i would most probably want to get an AU2/3 XR6 simply because the AU has much better aftermarket stereo options. Then again, the BA motor is nothing to scoff at, with 182kW stock....

Sooooooo the main question is, how much could i score a BA XR6 NA for, and how much could i score an AU2/3 XR6 for around june/july 2004?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2003, 17:26   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Re: Which ute - AU or BA?>

Hard call, however if it's performance etc that matters BA is the go. Given your age and your apparent like of doof doof I would suggest AU for insurance reasons. AU resales are gonna be heartache for current owners, good news for you.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 17:27   #3 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

Ive got an AU3 XR6 ute and ill probarly getting rid of it in May next year (was going to now but lease payout is too high).

Ill probarly want about $25 000 for it then and it will only have 25 000 kms on it or so. It has sports bar, 17's and all the usual XR stuff, oh and its an Auto.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:37   #4 (permalink)
V8 ute driver!

The BA will be better if ya want performance, but the AU will be better value. They are essentially the same vehicle from the A pillar back an a different interior.
I personally would go a low k AU XR6 over a BA XLS, but it depends also wether wich one you like the look of.
With a BA you would have warranty problems if you started modifying it, were a AU there would be no probs.
I doubt there will be many BA's on the market even then. Take em for a drive an decide wat suits ya best.
Any offer considered.
Now driving a 04 BA XR8 Manual Envi ute. Mods to come...
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:35   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIIXR6VCT
Ive got an AU3 XR6 ute and ill probarly getting rid of it in May next year (was going to now but lease payout is too high).

Ill probarly want about $25 000 for it then and it will only have 25 000 kms on it or so. It has sports bar, 17's and all the usual XR stuff, oh and its an Auto.
Don't want to sound too much like a spoiler, but I recon you may be lucky to get that for an AU. I tried to sell my AU2 ute (28km, VCT, man, 17s, prem. sound etc etc) for a simmilar price last year and got nothing. I ended up trading.

As for the choice between AU and BA, I would choose the BA in a flash. But as others have said, it may be hard to find too many good s/h ones on the market, even in 12 months time. AUs on the other hand, seem to be every where, and getting better and better value. It ends up a personal choice IMO. You'll get better/more options for the money with an AU, but the BA is newer, and may hold its value better.

The actual price of the cars next year will depend on a lot of factors. In particular, when the BA2 comes out, and how it compares to BA1.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:39   #6 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

I got offered 28 trade last week on a new one?

how much did you end up getting?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:44   #7 (permalink)
X-DM!!

AUIIIXR6VCT,
Take the money and run. I traded my au2 XR8 ute 3 weeks ago emaculate condition auto and 27,000 kms for $28,000 because I had to wait such a long time for my new BA XR8 I reckoned I would had got another $3,000-$4,000 earlier in the year. IT sold the next day at Ford for $31,000. I spoke to the secondhand car manager and he said AU utes are very vulnerable at ther moment losing value every week.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:51   #8 (permalink)
V8 ute driver!

There does seem to be alot of AU XR utes showing up in car yards now, probably due alot of people trading up to BA's i guess. Should only get more and cheaper for a while yet.
Any offer considered.
Now driving a 04 BA XR8 Manual Envi ute. Mods to come...
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:53   #9 (permalink)

I got 26 trade in, but remember, it is easy to make trade in's look a lot better than they really are.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 03:11   #10 (permalink)
metal boy

the way i see it, is the BA has the performance and the refinement, for a big price, but lack of stereo :(

the AU has unlimited stereo options, less refined and less performance, but at a lower price

haha i can't decide :(

what pulls more chicks?
LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum