Ute Jack/Tool Bag Safety - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2003, 15:56   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Ute Jack/Tool Bag Safety

Has anyone come up with a better solution to storing the jack/tool bag in Utes? I am concerned about this bag becoming a missile, heaven forbid, in the case of an accident or roll over!

I repacked mine half a dozen different ways to make it fit UNDER the front seat. A few days later, I had a Cabin Tidy fitted to my XR, and recently I found scratches on it (the Cabin Tidy) where this bag (which has tool extensions protruding) has been sliding a few centimeters back and forward under the seat.

I have talked to my Ford dealer, Ford's interactive internet Chat Line, and finally I faxed a letter to Ford Australia a couple of days ago after they couldn't give me a satisfactory solution. I haven't received a response as yet.

I have removed the jack/tool bag from inside the vehicle and left it in the shed! What do I do now? Leave it out, or is there a better safer and securer solution?

Cheers!
XR6 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2003, 17:28   #2 (permalink)

Hahaha, i wouldnt be too worried about scratches considering you cant even see the thing. I would rather have the jack in the car rather then out of the car also as flat tyres can happen anytime anywhere.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 18:53   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: Ute Jack/Tool Bag Safety

Quote:
Originally posted by BA-XR6
Has anyone come up with a better solution to storing the jack/tool bag in Utes? ......
I mentioned this to my contact inside Ford when my work scored an AU3 trayback. This guy had a large hand in making the AU ute a reality, he had this to say;

"I agree with the jack and tool storage and did design a vacuum formed "carry" box for them but the money had run out. "

You win some, you lose some.

Has also told me that the bean counters were insisting they use a carryover tailgate whcih dates back to XD. The clever plastic tray insert saved the team enough money to have a new tailgate pressed. The taillights are borrowed from the US F-series to save money also. Considering it was the only AU to outsell the rival Commodore product the ute team gets a lot more respect within Ford these days.
Old 03-06-2003, 19:13   #4 (permalink)

A vacuum formed box would be great! It would cost Ford a lot less to include one of these in the utes rather than the legal costs from someone getting beaned by the jack in an accident!
Old 03-06-2003, 19:25   #5 (permalink)
SM

How about adapting a simple extinguisher type menchanism to secure it??
Old 03-06-2003, 19:59   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, Not a bad Idea. It's just a shame it has to come down to the end user to fix something like this!
Old 03-06-2003, 23:06   #7 (permalink)
Movin!

I been wondering the same thing, they are just sitting behind the seats. My old rodeo had a steel adapter type setup behind the seat where the pack thats contains the jack and tools sits on there and a rubber elastic band attaches to each side securing it pretty tight. Perhaps ford could have something like this but i suppose it depends on space, the owner may want that space to install a cabin tidy or whatever...
Old 03-09-2003, 16:34   #8 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I wonder if the jack was in the cab during NCAP testing?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 21:34   #9 (permalink)
ST170ish

Install a subwoofer and include a space or holder for the jack'n'stuff on the box!
(well thats what I'm doing bout it.)
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 21:47   #10 (permalink)

What a great idea! Have you installed a sub yet? and if so how did you connect it up?

It's small things like this jack bag that makes Aussie car makers very second rate! I'd expect something like this from the Holden camp!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum