Warranty Job or Not?? AU3 5 speed ute - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2002, 17:31   #1 (permalink)
BOF

Warranty Job or Not?? AU3 5 speed ute

My old man picked up his brand new AU3 5 speed tray back about 2 weeks ago and it's now done just over 1500km, anyway I went home over christmas and took it for a drive and I can honestly say I couldnt believe how:

Bad the gearbox is, noisy, hard to select reverse and just hard to select gears, I find the shift of the 5 speed in my VX so far ahead it's not funny and have even suggested my dad take it back to the dealer, but the problem is it works all ok it just feels horrible and hard to drive.

How much noise gets into the cab compared to the VX, I know it's a commercial vehicle and all but all the road noise and engine noise compared to the VX again was a real shock.

So what can he do? he doesnt find the box a real problem because he has nothing to compare it to but I gave him a drive of my car and he said, and he backed up my thoughts on the roadnoise and better gearbox shifts.

It works ok so im sure they will not replace it under warranty but if it was mine I would be pissed.
VC Valiant 245Hemi, 280zx Nissan 5 speed, 88 EA 3.9CFI,94 ED Gli X Chaser, 79 FC LTD, 351, FMX, 91 EA2 Fairmont Ghia, 1999 AU S pack, 2000 AU Forte, 1992 EB2 XR8, 2001 AU2 SR, 2002 VX2 Acclaim, 2002 VX2 Manual S pack,2003 BA XR6 manual, 2001 VX2 Berlina.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2002, 18:06   #2 (permalink)
gone

BOF

Is the noise comming from the Box, or from the shifter?

Is it hard to shift gears because of the guide plates in the shifter, or does the clutch need an adjustment?

I found that by changing the shifter in my old XR, I no longer had road noise comming from it and with the better guide plates in the pro series shifter, gear changes where alot easier!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 18:34   #3 (permalink)

Hey BOF, i got a au2 xr8 5 speed, i thought the same thing with mine,gee its noisy,man that shifter is too hard too shift,true there is gearbox and diffwhine,thats made louder by the fact that theres nothing to cover the noises.Even in my ute the plastic trayliner cant mask the noises like a full on steel liner.In regards to the shifter,i found that after a while,they loosen up and they feel a lot better to shift.i also found that reverse was sometimes a bugger to select,that also improves with the more its been drivenI have fitted a mick webb svo short shifter,its a top unit with short positive shifts,but it too is notchy,but as they car is being driven everyday its worn in quite welland its money well spent.

regards phil
Old 12-30-2002, 18:08   #4 (permalink)

Reverse has always been a problem to select in the 5 speed box. Simple solution is to slip into 2nd, then into reverse, goes in easily. The gearchanges do improve after a while, give the car at least 5-10k to loosen up.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum