Went for a spin in a V8 Ute - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2001, 20:33   #1 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Went for a spin in a V8 Ute

Like the title says, my mate has just bought a '99 V8 Ute (not XR).
I have heard a lot of people say that the standard exhaust manifold was crap but god, I didn't think it was that crap. The bend work is absolutely disgusting.

I hope ford will do something about this in the future.

Apart from this, I loved it. I personally have never had a chance to drive an 8, and boy do I love it. The only thing that made the drive not so good was that his clutch needs adjusting.

I want one!!!

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2001, 21:05   #2 (permalink)

I went for a quick fang in my mate's VSIII SS ute yesterday. I hate to say it but I was impressed.:eek: It drove well. Didn't go as hard or as quick as I was expecting (308 motor, only 185kw I think) but still great to get behind the wheel of a V8 again. :D The V8 torque really comes into it's own when you come to a hill, the v8 just laps it up. I didn't get to give it a real workout because a) I don't mistreat my mate's stuff and b) I didn't want to bend it :(. There were a few slow cars in front of me so I planted it and took it up to 160km/h to round them up and the ute seemed quite stable on the road (as it should) and still seemed to have plenty of go. I only have my EB 6cyl and my previous car, XYGT to compare with. A bit of work to the EB and it would be keeping up with the VS no wories, but a lot of work (like twice as much power) to the VS for it to keep up with the XY.
Biggest complaint was the auto trans which couldn't make up it's mind if it wanted to snap my head off or drive like limmo. Ford have it all over the Holdens here.
The ute seemed to handle well, all stock with 50,000km on original tyres. I didn't push it too hard as I mentioned but to be honest I would have to say it handles better than the EB (Selby lowered springs, Bilsteins , camber kit and Superpro bushes). The ute was a little choppier in the ride than my EB, I reckon you'd need a kidney belt if you had Konis and 18s on it, though my other mate has a VS Maloo with these mods and it supposedly rides softer, go figure!:rolleyes:
I would love to drive an XR8 ute to compare the differences, any takers?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 03:25   #3 (permalink)

I know what you mean Falchoon,
there's something about a 4V 351 Cleveland that makes most other V8's seem lackluster..even late model fuel injected types...effortless syrupy torque I think.
Russell.:p
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum