XR6 Test Drive - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2003, 19:47   #1 (permalink)

biggrin XR6 Test Drive

Took at N/A XR6 for a test drive yesterday & I just wanted to post how impressed I was with the experience. They are a VERY nice car to drive. Probably got the best interior of any car I've ever driven. It got along quite well too, considering it was only the 182kw six. Not quite as fast as my ED, but you'd never ever notice at legal speeds 'cause it's so damn torquey. Couple of minor criticisms. They've got a bloody bad blind spot behind the B-pillar, & then there's the auto. Guess I've never driven a tiptronic style auto before but I've gotta say that it's a pretty poor substitute for a manual. You flick the lever & then wait half a second for the thing to change gears??? Whats the go with that? I thought it would be instantaneous, but I guess it takes time for the signal to be processed. It was good fun to muck about with & very smooth but I'll still be getting a manual. Which brings me to the topic of buying myself a ute & how I can't seem to do it quick enough. Therefore I've lowered the For Sale price on the ED considerably. Anyone interested can check it out in the marketplace section of the forums.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2003, 16:16   #2 (permalink)
If all else fails-GAS IT!

hey Jase,

You will find that the auto's manual shift does have a slight delay, but with time you automatically allow for this in your driving. you also learn to let the throttle off just slightly as it shifts which makes the change even smoother.

I have driven many Jap tip-tronic autos, and they all have minds of there own, changing down when they want in manual mode, (which is a pain) so the ford version is excellent in that it is a true manual. you can use engine braking etc just like a manual, and if you lift the throttle on shifts it even sounds like a manual from the outside. the best of both worlds
I believe.

Cheers
Red
bloodnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 19:15   #3 (permalink)
RACE

Re: XR6 Test Drive

You're a harsh critic Jase! The "tiptronic" SSS auto is one of the better ones out there.
Old 08-25-2003, 21:05   #4 (permalink)

Well really the experience was all good fun, but I've gotta say that it has never ever been printed in any magazine anywhere that tiptronic autos have a delay time between shifts. It makes sense to me now, but I've just always assumed that the auto would shift as soon as you move the lever. But it doesn't & is therefore no real substitute for a traditional manual gearbox. A nice effort though.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:45   #5 (permalink)

Hey Jase,

U say the sss auto is not the equivalent of a manual because it is slow to shift,

however if you think about it the time to change gear would be similar.

With the manual u have to press the clutch in b4 and release after the shift, but the auto is just a quick push and wait .35 second.

Believe me within no time at all u adapt to the sss and u can use it in the traditional manual ways.

And the wife can just stick her in D and leave the "toys to the boys"

cheers
Red
Old 08-26-2003, 15:22   #6 (permalink)

Yeah you're right bloodnut. By the time you press the clutch in and release the overall shift would be slower. But with the manual I guess it just feels better because you feel the thing go into gear & then engage as you release the left foot. There's something funny about the whole auto experience. Probably just takes getting used to.
Old 08-26-2003, 22:26   #7 (permalink)

Don't need to get used to it Jase - your comments are spot on. With the manual you decide exactly when YOU want to release the power by releasing the clutch, with the auto you're in no mans land for a while everytime on down changes.
Sixpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 16:54   #8 (permalink)

Sixpack, your words;

"With the manual you decide exactly when YOU want to release the power by releasing the clutch,"

Well b4 you release the clutch you are free wheeling - correct? isnt this the no-mans land you are talking about with the auto?

With the auto, it up shifts and down shifts at the same speed each time (it is a computer after all) so the human brain adapts to this quickly.

U therefore allow for the delay and regulate the effect with the throttle effectivly acheiving the same effects as a manual.

If u prefer a manual just say so - dont try to say the auto is something it is not.

Cheers
Re
Old 09-01-2003, 20:50   #9 (permalink)

i have owned manual cars all my life,am only 28 though
i test drove the auto gt as they didnt have a manual ute for me
i was appauled with the auto
crusing at 50kph i planted it and waited ,well it seamed like for ever,to be thrown into first for a whole 1 sec then changed into 2nd
i had to laugh,i told the sales man this is like a old mans car
hope my manual pursuit is better
christo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 22:50   #10 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo
i have owned manual cars all my life,am only 28 though
i test drove the auto gt as they didnt have a manual ute for me
i was appauled with the auto
crusing at 50kph i planted it and waited ,well it seamed like for ever,to be thrown into first for a whole 1 sec then changed into 2nd
i had to laugh,i told the sales man this is like a old mans car
hope my manual pursuit is better
Depends how fast you can change from second to first!
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum