XR8 ute too low! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2003, 20:58   #1 (permalink)

mad XR8 ute too low!

Have any of you notice that the BA XR8 ute, in stock form, is way too low at the front? I've had the car for 6 days and i've already scrapped underneath the front guard twice. Once coming out of Bluey's Ute World's driveway... second parking at the shops when the under part scrapped against the curb.

I only weight 82kgs... why did ford design it to be so low that it even scrapes against gutters?!?!?!?!!?

Dats #*&%ed up!

Last edited by Aussie Pete; 11-26-2003 at 14:34.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2003, 21:05   #2 (permalink)
More horsepower required

Re: XR8 ute too low!

And to think I lowered mine another 30mm , and only scrape on the odd driveway and speedhump.
Such is life .
Fordhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 21:14   #3 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

i think you need to look at the way you drive over said obstacles, be mindfull of the car's height and ask ur self is that gonna make me scrape,take it very slow and drop one wheel at a time over it.

you can never be too low, but you can always be to high :)

either get it lifted or lern to live with it.

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 21:24   #4 (permalink)
{';'}

It was one of Autospeed's complaints about the GT-P...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
Have any of you notice that the BA XR8 ute, in stock form, is way too low at the front? I've had the car for 6 days and i've already scrapped underneath the front guard twice. Once coming out of Bluey's Ute World's driveway... second parking at the shops when the under part scrapped against the curb.

I only weight 82kgs... why did ford design it to be so low that it even scrapes against gutters?!?!?!?!!?

Dats fcked up!
Know where you're coming from here. Happened a few times to the point where I back in where I can, if not then leave my rear hanging out for fear of going to close to the gutter up front. Also I take driveways pretty slowly as the front will scrape as you said but have also had the rear bottom out. Some suggest lowering the rear and the front will lift a little. This will generally make the thing look flatter as ute's tend to be sprung high unloaded so they can take a load and still have the rear-guards clear the wheels over bumps and stuff.

There have been extensive discussions about modded springs in the past, try these links:

UTE HANDLING

and:

UTE LOWERING

I will keep mine standard as I will be loading it heavily from time to time although some stiffer (but not shorter) springs in front might be the go someday.
Old 11-25-2003, 22:17   #6 (permalink)

Yep, I've left some lovely silver paint on some speed humps, funny how I should've realised why they were put there... my fault.

Dicky driveways are a different matter, have learnt to drive in on angles and very slowly... or as Mr Madder says backing in is the way to go...

My AU one tonner even scrapped those concrete blocks in supermarket carparks... so I stay well away in this ute.

Still can't get touch up paint for the ute... no dealer I've called carries my paint colour yet... when they get it, I will touch up the little scrapes... but then they're underneath.. do I really care...

I find the front of the XR8 brilliant, in a previous life, my wife would often bring the front spoiler of the Clubby home in the back seat... the dear....
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 14:35   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Try a Pursuit. they're even worse than the FPV sedans because the rear is jacked up unladen. I give up with my front bar - everyone else damages it and it's so full of bog already.......

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 20:18   #8 (permalink)
X-DM!!

After lowering my XR8 ute approx 35-40mm I checked it against a standard one and mine is about 10 mm lower at the front. A GT is still 5mm lower than mine at the lowest point at the front.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:04   #9 (permalink)

I was mindful of gutters the day I bought my BA XR8 Ute... and now with the Herrods Suspension I am even more mindful. Having said that they look damn good.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:39   #10 (permalink)
X-DM!!

I know what you are saying about the gutters Luke, but with the long wheel base and being lowered any drop offs in car park basemants underneath high rises are a problem to, either touching the muffler or finding the chasis.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ute Forum