1996 p reg fiesta problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 00:51   #1 (permalink)

1996 p reg fiesta problems

My fiesta encore 1299cc, is using a lot of petrol, what could this be, i've changed air filter, changed plugs, what next
david295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 12:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1996 p reg fiesta problems

is the engine getting up to temp? does the gauge come off the white mark and into the normal part? this could be why you are not getting a lot of heat from heaters! get back to me
dave6068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:58   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6068 View Post
is the engine getting up to temp? does the gauge come off the white mark and into the normal part? this could be why you are not getting a lot of heat from heaters! get back to me
Yes the temp goes into the normal, i cant keep up with the amount of petrol it is using, ive been told to clean injectors, what do you think
Old 03-08-2009, 22:20   #4 (permalink)

no i dont think an injector clean is the answer! you see if the injectors were dirty then it would use more fuel but not as your using a lot, rember that the ecu controls the amount going into the engine. would you say that its like having the choke stuck on all the time? if this is the case then the engine temp sensor could have failed!(fooling it into thinking the engine was colder than it actualy was and injecting more fuel) but before we rush out and buy loads of bits we dont need lets do a clean of a few parts first and see if it gets better!
Old 03-08-2009, 22:33   #5 (permalink)

ok first go out and get a big can of carb cleaner! and a small can of wd40! armed with that and a small tool kit your ready! remove air filter cover (check air filter again) then remove the wire plug from the air flow meter, remove the hose clamp, remove 2 screws, air flow meter in hand. second, remove air hose from meter to inlet body, looking into the inlet you should see the butterfly valve, opening the throtle cable opens the butterfly valve, looking closer you should see right round it will be carbon, third, in the top of the air cleaner (the lid) there should be a small wire plug and a small sensor, remove that too, 4th, right at the frount of the efi kit is a small round metal can with a wire plug on, right in the middle of the rocker box cover mounted on the kit with 2 bolts, remove this also!
Old 03-08-2009, 23:04   #6 (permalink)

ok using the carb cleaner spray directly at little air temp sensor, if you look carefully at it the sensor tip inside the little cage will turn from black to brown, now clean replace in top! the small can spray into the 2 holes and fill it with cleaner, wait 1 min turn empty and spray in there till no black comes out, then shake and dry for 2 mins then give a good spray of wd40 into it shake drain and replace! air meter is very light unit be carefull! looking through the air meter you will see a small tube in the middle of the meter, if you have good eyesight then you will see inside of the tube are 2 small elements (never touch them) spray carb cleaner into them, they should not be black they should have a platnum color as thats what they are! and should have no deposits on them, how it works is on a hot wire system, 1 wire is kept at a constant heat the other it let cool by the inrush of air and compared by the ecu! when clean replace! now the throtle valve, spray cleaner at valve, let soak for 1 min, then start removing carbon from around valve plate, only use the rubber on the back of a pencil to rub the valve plate with (DONT SCRATCH IT) also spray into the little drilling to the back frount of the plate, in there gets dirty, when all the carbon is all melted off and ready to be removed start engine, rev it up as spraying as the eigine cant burn it well, dont let engine die! rev as you spray, spray right round the plate as you rev it just to get rid of the last bits of dirt from around plate, replace air pipe to body! ok now its time to tell the computer that its sensors have changed! remove battery earth for 15 mins then replace, start car and let normalise for 1 min, in this time do not rev engine, after the min drive off within 10 miles you need to have done your normal street driving, and getting up to 70 if possable with close motorway or duel carrage way! you need to cover 10 miles in the first trip or more and you need to have engine from cold all the way up to temp when she has done the 10 miles or more, bring home cool rest, let me know if you get an improvment in power or not, or economy or not! if not we try somthing else but this is easyist first
Old 03-08-2009, 23:15   #7 (permalink)

oh yea also when you fill up (full tank) first put in 50ml of clean engine oil into the fuel tank then fill up this works like redx only its not red lol! clean new eigine oil has a solvent effect cleaning your fuel system as it goes also lubes system cleans injectors too! then if you want to keep using it i would use 20ml to a tank of fuel! just a tip but a good 1
Old 03-10-2009, 01:50   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6068 View Post
oh yea also when you fill up (full tank) first put in 50ml of clean engine oil into the fuel tank then fill up this works like redx only its not red lol! clean new eigine oil has a solvent effect cleaning your fuel system as it goes also lubes system cleans injectors too! then if you want to keep using it i would use 20ml to a tank of fuel! just a tip but a good 1
I have tryed all your suggestions, but the fuel consumption is still high it is just gussling the fuel i can actually see the fuel gauge going down, am getting about 10 miles to £5 worth of petrol
Old 03-10-2009, 05:48   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

Might be worth carrying out a compression test to give you an indication of engine condition , especially after what you have tried so far has failed .If compression gone in any cyls .or very low , you are farting against thunder until rectified . Nothing to lose , simple test and something else eliminated .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum