Ford Forums banner

Airbox pics for you all

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Pieoter 
#1 ·
hey everyone!!! i did a demo job for canon on sat, and they sent me a nifty lil digi cam, so now upon request from pieoter ill post up some pics of what ive done to my airbox.
Note the white material bolted onto the bottom of the airbox is heavy duty fire resistant heat insulation, this is available from around $20 +

#2 ·
Re: Airbox pics for all you mofos :p

gerrr the pics didnt attach :p here they are...

Attachments

#3 ·
Getting into a Fiesta airbox is a more lengthy procedure than, say, breaking into Fort Knox, or trying to sort out the Tax Pack for Small Business.

So from what I can work out, you've removed the airbox assembly (both top and bottom), and installed some heat sheilding onto it to prevent heatsoak from whatever it is that the airbox sits on, is that correct?

Not a bad idea to have done,if that is correct!

Tim

#4 ·
also removed what can only be described as really squigly plastic resonator.. u can just unclip it and remove it, as soon as i did this when i put my foot on accelerator you could hear the car sucking in air.

#5 ·
I was thinking of almost totally hollowing mine out, leaving only the filter, filter mounts and screw areas. Could you think of a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

#8 ·
Im reluctant to buy purchase things off the net with credit cards :( seeing i dont have one :p
i could use mums though... is it completely safe to buy off that autospeed.com website?
how long did it take for postage pieoter?
Ps, i took my car into the paint shop today, the guy was an absolute asshole, had no time for me and i almost just drove away but i controlled myself.

#9 ·
Mitch...has the heat shielding help reduce induction temps??

On mine, as soon as it is a hot day and the car sits after a run, it is just a pig to drive as heat soak is a problem so it just does not want to rev. It is noticable.

Does anyone know if a pod style filter can be adapted to suit and remove the air box??

#10 ·
Cypher said:
Mitch...has the heat shielding help reduce induction temps??

On mine, as soon as it is a hot day and the car sits after a run, it is just a pig to drive as heat soak is a problem so it just does not want to rev. It is noticable.

Does anyone know if a pod style filter can be adapted to suit and remove the air box??
IOM, a pod filter inside the airbox would be best, as you'd get more surface (filter)area using a pod as well as getting cold air from the outside the engine bay by still utilizing your box.

On the otherhand, your engine bay would look better getting rid of the box and having your pod exposed. But then again, your pod would be sucking heated air radiated from your motor, radiator, etc. Not really nice.

#12 ·
ACT it is not as I have seen cars go thru rego and getting passed with exposed pod filters, blow off valves, oil catch cans, U name it....

So is there a system out there or will I have to go custom made? If I am going custom then I will duct it thru the front bar as there is an air hole next to the driving lights. That should supply fresh air to the filter if I mount it low enough...I am still deciding.

#13 ·
Heat soak is reduced alot with the heat shielding, on a hot day its still a pig trying to get the car to move, but at night the heat shielding comes into play :D i definately noticed it.
I just recently found another type of heat shielding available from my local performance shop. its a sort of silvery metal (similar to those heat shields people put in their windscreen when parked) but its fire and much more heat resistant, and it has a self adhesive side. i will add that aswell and i think it will make a bigger diff.
I suggest you dont even look at pod filters, they might look 'cool' but the air they suck in from the fiesta engine bay is anything but cool. a heat shielded airbox with a bmc panel will have a better gain than a pod.. infact you might even loose power with a pod in this engine bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.