Driving with no oil cap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 15:15   #1 (permalink)

Driving with no oil cap

So two days ago I took my 2012 Fiesta in to the local dealership to get my 10,000 mile maintenance done (oil change, tires rotated, etc). I trip down to the city and back put on about 102 miles on the car since then when I noticed, on our hot summer days, a strong burning oil smell. I popped the hood and saw the engine oil cap resting just under the hood upside down. It was never replaced by the dealership.There is oil splatter all over the top of the engine. So first thing Monday morning I will be going back to the dealership. Lesson learned--always do a quick under the hood check after service.

What I want to know is, was any damage done by driving 100 miles, at freeway speeds, with no oil cap? What about any damage from oil splatter? Thanks!

--

Mike
zorbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 15:23   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Driving with no oil cap

Depends on how much oil has come out and where it's gone .Possibly on electrics , belts , under hood soundproofing etc .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 17:31   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Also the possibility of contamination and high moisture content.

Oh, and a mess.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

The chances are low of any major damage as long as the oil level didnt get too low. The dealership needs to clean it all up and perhaps change the oil again to be sure of no contamination and check/replace drive belts as RS Logan has said.
Old 08-01-2012, 17:50   #5 (permalink)
canuck

If the oil light didn't come on then chances are that everything is OK. Phone the dealer NOW, and tell them they need to shampoo your engine bay. Leaving oil spray under the hood will slowly leak down onto your driveway, garage floor, etc.

There was a drive-thru lube place a few years ago where a lady pushed for a whole new vehicle - and got it. The people at the lube place didn't tell her she was over a gallon low on coolant. They drained her oil, installed a new filter and filled her coolant reservoir up with the 5 quarts of oil and let her drive away!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:54   #6 (permalink)

Driving with no oil can cause damage to the engine. An under-hood check would have revealed the errant oil cap right away.
Jeff Collision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:07   #7 (permalink)

Mike, Dont know if this is coincidental or not, but the same exact thing happened to my 2011 Fiesta. I took it for a drive of about 100 miles after the Oil Change
and noticed a burning odor...opened the hood and oil was splattered everywhere. My forst thought was the absent minded mechanic left the oil cap off. Sunrise Ford of Fort Pierce pressured cleaned it. I filed a complaint the BBB because the dealer wasnt going to warranty any future damage. My second thought was theres an issue with the Oil Cap and they didnt want to disclose that problem, but fixed it so it wouldnt happen again...which it hasnr. But never will I buy another Ford Fiesta!!!

Last edited by gethefax; 01-27-2014 at 06:09. Reason: spelling error
gethefax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:40   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Never heard of any problems with the oil cap .You must be unlucky with your Fiesta as it is rated as one of the best in it's class and has been consistently for many years .What problems have you had to condemn it ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum