Ford Fiesta Flooding Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 10:53   #1 (permalink)

Ford Fiesta Flooding Problems

i've got a K Reg Fiesta.. i tried starting it today and it sounded grumpy and then cut out and i tried it again and it didnt want to know and it flooded, its happend before and i've had to call the AA out and they told me i had to take the Fuel Pump Fuse out and then start it and put it back in once it fired but i've forgotten which 1 is the Fuel Pump Fuse, i've foned a few places and they told me it was the 1st Fuse on the bottom row.. i took it out and still nothing but i can still smell petrol after abit which suggests its not the right fuse so im wondering if anyone can tell me which is the right fuse for the fuel pump.

thanx
matt
Matty_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
OFI

Re: Ford Fiesta Flooding Problems

you sure thats the problem? mine will flood everytime if i give it any gas before the revs die down and the auto choke has cut out apparently theyre crap i get mine running by flooring it (with clutch in) as soon as i hear it dying or just wait............
OFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:00   #3 (permalink)

Same happens to me as i live on a steep hill and you have to wait for the idle to die down. If you do flood it unscrew the air intake and start the car and it should turn over then.
magners04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 15:39   #4 (permalink)

I'm having a similar problem. Going by the smell and the condition of the tail-pipe it appears to be that my car (Fiesta 1.3 HCS OHV) is running rich and this leads to misfiring at best and stalling at worst.

I tried replacing the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT) at the weekend, but I am still having problems.

I don't want to replace the MAP as it costs about the same value as the car!

When the problem first occured I cleaned up all the sensors' connectors and it went away for a fortnight, but now I am having problems again and it is getting to a point where the car is becoming un-driveable.

Any theories???
Twamgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:06   #5 (permalink)
Unregistered

We have an L reg 1.1 that has been playing up all winter, usually associated with very cold or wet nights. Typically it starts normally for a few seconds, then stops. Several attempts later it might just fire enough to keep the engine turning over VERY roughly. Until now I have thought it was water in the fuel so kept it turning over with the throttle flat to the floor - first time I did this I thought I might flood it, but couldn't smell petrol so I gave it a go. After 20 to 30 seconds of appallingly rough running, with maybe 5 or 10 re-starts each time it peters out, it seems to suck through through the water (if that is what it is) and then runs perfectly for the rest of the day. I have got by since Christmas like this. Close inspection revealed no splits or leakage in the fuel tank, so I replaced the filler cap. It made no difference, but with the new filler cap I now have a mild vacuum in the petrol tank when I take the cap off to fill up, so there can't be any way that water is getting in unless it is in the fuel we buy - which is still a possibility.

The £1,000 trade in is looking increasingly attractive!

Regards
Islander
Old 08-11-2006, 17:40   #6 (permalink)

Clean and check spark plugs distance. If you know how to do it adjust valve
clearences as that will give better performance if they are out of tuning.

Check your thermostat. If engine is always near cold you will be running rich.
You will see that if plugs get black and dirty quite fast. Also exaust tailpipe
will look like burnt and the floor under it (keep it at idle and stopped for some
minutes then check the floor under tailpipe. If wet it is ok. Wet and oil or black dirty
you are running rich.

Probably you all have another kind of thermostat bad, inside the air intake filter
nose. Check the flap, should open front air passage at about 30ºC, otherwise
stay closed. If not substitute the air filter box (100eur at Ford).
If you have fuel injection and kat with lambda sensor, you may instead block fresh
air securing the flap with a spring or something as this will make the engine warm
faster and run with less fuel. Mixture won't get poor because of lambda sensor.
You lose power but it works better, plugs stay clean no dirty tailpipe.
This is specially true if you always make short journeys around your city
and the engine does not have time to warm up.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum