ford fiesta seat clip - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 11:04   #1 (permalink)

ford fiesta seat clip

My girlfriend has a 2004 ford fiesta which is a three door, the ploblem is that the clip that lifts the fron seat forward has broken off, the handle part that you pull is fine but its the part that is attached to the seat thats broken. How do you get this off, looking at it there doesn't seem to be any fixing screws so i'm at at loss to how i get his of the seat, will the new part some with the seat part and the hand clip? Need help, not good having kids in the back and only one seat folds forward.
Scottish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 14:08   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: ford fiesta seat clip

This might help you ,

How to repair broken seat latch fiesta?

The cable mechanism consists of two separate bowden cables ( rather like bike brake cables) connected to one nipple at the seat latch end. It's best to remove the seat back from it's base to avoid frustration. Remove seat from car, detach any plastic trims at bottom of back. Be careful not to damage seat tensioner mechanism which can be triggered unless car battery disconnected first, then wait 2 minutes before removing the plug under the seat, press plastic release latch on plug to separate. Seat back angle knob levers off with a couple of screwdrivers. Remove 2 size 50 Torx bolts to separate seat back from base. Seat cover can be released by pulling plastic hook strips apart, not too difficult and gives more space to work on release latches at base of seat back.

Latch handle at top of seat is separate from cable unit. Cable unit has a plastic end which locks into hole in seat interior by 90 degree twist. The visible seat latch handle clips onto this using a plastic latch which can be seen from outer edge of the seat if handle is prised away from the upholstery (remove one long screw on passenger side handle) Press this latch inwards to release the handle from the cable unit. I broke mine not knowing how they were attached ...it cost £18 to replace doh.... Disconnect cable ends from seat latch before attempting to remove handle else cables will hold handle in place. Use a bit of string on old cables to pull new ones into place feeding down from top of seat. Fit new handle to cable before re-attaching cable ends to seat latches, there is not much slack in cable. Note routing of old cables before replacing new ones. Also note how cable ends fit onto latch mechanism.

Repair shops charge £70 upwards for this job which is probably justified by it's fiddly nature. It's not too difficult once you have figured out how all the plastic trims fit together. NOT one of Fords better designs.......
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 14:31   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Or this ,

Fiesta broken seat lifter - FIXED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi - Just wanted to post a reply to this thread as it helped me.

I have the same problem with the broken seat lifter handle. And Ronine's about right - it took about 30 mins to fix. Wanted to post how i fixed it as I couldn't find anywhere on the net that did.

I have a 2005 Fiesta and I think the broken handle is pretty common.

I picked up a replacement part online for about £25 with VAT and delivery

To remove old one:

There's two clips that need to be squeezed in to take out the old one. A spare pair of hands will help for this too but I did manage it on my own.

Get a pair of pliers and pull the cable out a bit via the nipple at the top
Tie a piece of sting round the nipple - you should be able to pull this so you can lift the seat. (it's handy while waiting for the part to arrive!)
The seat needs to be in a forward position so the cable is a bit loose.
TAKE OFF THE HEAD REST! - took me ages to work out that was the angle I needed for the step 6!
Get your fingers underneath the edge and apply some pressure as if you're trying to pull it out
With a flat head screw driver or similar gently (don't rip the cloth) push the screw driver between the cloth and the plastic - first from the top (where the headrest used to be) - with a bit of fiddling you should feel the first half pop out a little.
The clip on the bottom is reached from directly above (where the handle used to be) - Pop the screw driver in and twist it to remove the clip.
If you have a look at the new part you should see the clips and be able to work it out.
With a little fiddling - it should pop out!
Putting in the new one.

It's a bit of a funny set up - i expected it to be like a brake cable on a bike but the nipple of the cable doesn't have a specific clip to go in - it just sits in a kinda cup!
The below may not be the perfect way - but it worked for me...

Carefully remove the new handle from the surround it sits in - i fitted the surround first then the actual handle. Watch out for the spring - you're going to need that!
Slot the surround in to place making sure you can still see the nipple on the cable and that the string you tied to it in the first bit is not caught.
Pull the string that is tied to the cable toward the back of the seat so it get's the nipple clear of the bottom and puts it in the right place to be picked up by the cup.

Now clip the handle back in making sure the spring is 'sprung' - this bit was a bit fiddly but I got there in the end.
Once it's all clipped in - you should be there!!

Hope this helps someone! Like i said the forums really helped me actuall think i could fix it but there was no difinitive answer on how to fix it.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:59   #4 (permalink)

cheers mate, i'll give it a go, while i'm here is there anywhere on a ford website that i can get a picture breakdown on how parts to together, the master cylinder went last year and i managed to find the blue prints on how this came out and went on from the website but i can remember how i found the page, any ideas
Scottish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:02   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

If you tend to do most of your own repairs ,you would be wise to invest in Haynes workshop manual .Can be had in most accessory shops or likes of Halfords .Most libraries carry a selection of manuals which usually cover the popular cars like Fiestas etc. You can also usually get a w/shop manual on cd from E-bay , and just print of relevant section your working on and take out to car if needed .I just cleared out a lot of manuals recently and gave away one for your car !!!! Best of luck .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum