Ford Forums banner

Mechanical question

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Kishkashta 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I hope I'm in the right place (this is the first time I post here). I have a 1996 Fiesta and I'm trying to find out the recommended temperature for the thermostat. I live in a hot country and had a new thermostat installed. I think the mechanic is trying to screw me over because my car is now heating up more than usual. A friend explained to me that each thermostat has a different temperature where it opens and that the one that was installed in my car probably has a temperature that is not good for the Fiesta. The mechanic said he put a thermo with 82c temp. Is this apropriate? And what happens when summer comes? (as I said I live in a very hot country). I really don't know anything about mechanism so if my question sounds stupid, forgive me. All I'm trying to do is keep my car in the best condition I can.
BTW, I tried calling the Ford offices in my country but they are refusing to answer my question unless I take my car to a certified garage (and pay them to check it of course).
Thanks for any replies.

#2 ·
How a thermostat works:

The thermostat is a device that regulates coolant flow thru the cooling system of the engine, by mechanically opening and closing depending on the heat. Different thermostats open and close at different temperatures, so if the car is always running hot, you can try putting in a thermostat that opens at a lower temperature to allow more coolant flow. Assuming that is the only reason the car is running hotter, that will solve your problem.

Just ask for one that opens five or ten degrees lower than the current one, they are cheap as chips anyway.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

Regards, Tim

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. This is pretty much what was explained to me by a friend. The problem is that the garage where I had the thermostat installed in refuses to replace it with one that has a lower temperature and what I want to know is if there's a certain temp recommended for Fiestas so that I can bring that information to the mechanic and "force" him to replace it. I know they're not expensive, but then again it's a matter of principal - I don't see why I have to buy a new one when I already paid for a new one last week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.