minor fiesta problem turning into a major disaster.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44   #1 (permalink)

confused minor fiesta problem turning into a major disaster..

In need of assistance. I have a 1995 n reg fiesta encore 1.3. last week the key decided not to turn no mater how much I jiggled and jangled it. told I needed a new igntion barrel but as I could turn key to get it to position one to extract it I had to resort to Mr Bosch. finally got it out after 2 hours with a smile on My face off I popped to local ford dealer to get a replacement made up around My old keys. 35 minutes later back I pop with new igntion barrel in hand with the words of the dealer ringing in my ears "should be a 2 minute job putting new one in" hmm on closer inspection I noticed the "d" cutout in the igntiton barrel housing was wrong way round to the d on the ignition barrel.checked it agaainst old one and it was identical to new one. no mater how much I try to turn the boss in the housing it only moves a fraction and is the complete opposite of what it should be. rang ford and they said it sounds like the housing is duff and as it is a complete unit with the steering column its gonna cost Me £120 plus labour to fit it!!!! there must be an easier way and I took great care with mr bosch not to damage anything other than the tumblers so cant work out what has happened.trawled endless web sites looking for answers as I have found the ford dealers less than helpful. any advice will be gratefully acepted at this point to spare My sanity
many thanks
paul35wyorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 04:54   #2 (permalink)
fordmech

Re: minor fiesta problem turning into a major disaster..

Hi
To get the new barrel back in, the key must be inserted in the barrel and turned to the Accesories position (I), it's the only way to line them up. cheers
Marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:15   #3 (permalink)

hi marc
thanks for your advice but I have already tried that.My problem is that the "d" in the housing is the complete opposite to what it should be when key is in position one,even the shaft that goes into the igntion switch is the wrong way round and as I havent removed it I cant work out why its changed in the few hours I was away from the car.Trued wiggling it into position but theres very little free play in the housing certainly not enough to turn the key thru 3 positions so something must have overidden something inside the housing and no one I talk to has the foggiest.
Paul
Old 08-07-2007, 11:07   #4 (permalink)

I take it you mean the large spring clip on the barrel, these can actually be installed 180 degrees out, it's a simple matter of using circlip pliers and turning it to the correct position.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:22   #5 (permalink)

confused Re: minor fiesta problem turning into a major disaster..

yes but its the housing that is wrong for some reason,looked at the back of the housing at the rod that connects to the igntion switch and that is the wrong way round so that needs to turn thru 180 aswell and I cant figure out how.there is very little play not enough to turn it thru 180 before it hits a stop or something no matter which way I turn it. notcied the steering lock isnt locked either but that may be something that happens when barrel is inserted again.clutching at straws (beats tearing my hair out) just seems a strange thing to happen without an asnwer other than a whole new steering column.Cant find a diagram anywhere of the internal parts of the housing so can only guess at whats happening.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:36   #6 (permalink)

heres a pic of what I mean its hard to put into words
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07-08-07_1236.jpg (26.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-07-2007, 13:15   #7 (permalink)

Have you tried pushing down and turning at the same time?
Old 08-07-2007, 13:25   #8 (permalink)

yeah just seems to be something stopping it from turning further.even got a magnifying glass out to see deeper into the housing but to no avail so just trawling thru the endless websites looking for any info or advice and fingers crossed a diagram of the internal gubbings,least I know then what Im up against lol
Old 08-07-2007, 14:02   #9 (permalink)

Is the electrical part removed?
Old 08-07-2007, 14:10   #10 (permalink)

mad Re: minor fiesta problem turning into a major disaster..

yes I had to remove the switch from the back of the housing when I was removing the barrel it was stuck. even removed the indicator assembly to see if there was anything underneath it.........confirmed My worst fears doing that .......the steering column and ignition barrel housing is a complete unit unlike my last car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum