Ford Forums banner

MK4 Bake Brake Sqeak

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i have a prob with my fiesta mk4 which has been buggin the hell out of me for ages now, when i press the brake pedal down a sqeaking noise comes from the bake brake drum and also happens again once i release the pedal, anyone have any ideas what this could be and how i can fix it?

Also does anyone have a guide on how to replace a rear bush?

Thanks in Advance.:hy:

#5 ·
No . You have to release brake shoe steady springs which hold shoe to back plate . Then you can get behind shoe and see contact spots to grease lightly .Make sure you dont get grease on shoes or inside drum .If unsure , get someone who is more competent as you cant mess about with brakes .

#6 ·
s a Chief Senior Mechanic with 6 certifications in Ford Vehicles, I am considered one of the top experts in the country on Ford products. Yours is not a unique problem. Go see your dealer and ask him to implement TSB# FF-B08165. It makes a minor modification to your brake system and pads to prevent the noise you hear. I estimate it will cost you in the $90-$130 range at most dealers.
The poster states the noise is at the rear brake shoes so carrying out mods on pads wont cure fault .Why pay$90-$130 for a simple well known fault which every technician worth their salt can easily fix with a liitle Copperslip grease ? By the way ,having spent my entire working life in the motor industry , your boasting of being "a chief senior mechanic " , what ever that is does not impress me one bit . I could beat you hands down with qualifications from many different franchises if needed but it is not my style .To say on another post that the replies were baloney and useless is out of order and disrespectful . I have met many mechanics who were good on theory and boasted about their certificates but could not fix a car if their life depended on it . I have also employed many mechanics who have no certificates to their name , they usually were the best in the business. Sorry for rant , but you really annoyed me .

#7 ·
Thankyou RS Logan. You summed up my thoughts exactly.

In my opinion CHIEFMECH has simply quoted a few service bullitens , abused members and advised going to a mechanic. I believe he/she knows very little and is simply being a smartass.

CHIEFMECH has been warned that this forum will not put up with abuse to members and any more will see the user banned .I have edited posts by CHIEFMECH

#9 ·
Glad to help . The contact points where the shoes touch are prone to dust / rust build up so give a clean before smearing with grease , remember to put a touch at metal end of shoe where it touches the wheel cyl .Take your time and you will manage ok . Best of luck .

#10 ·
logan some bad news or maybe good not sure lol

I removed the wheel and drum, took sometime i dont think anyone has been in there in a while. Once i got that off, i noticed straight away the left shoe was warn quite badly and that the brake cylinder had a hole in the seal, i pressed the brake and brake fluid when flying up the wall hehe.

So i have to replace the brake cyclinder and the shoes, because the shoes come in a set i thought i might aswell do both sides of the rear brakes, but im glad i check otherwise i would have been driving round with this prob and have no idea. I gunna leave this to my uncle whos a mechanic coz this is a bit above my skill level, thanks for the help again logan.

#11 ·
You do get problems removing the drum sometimes , usually caused by lip on edge which tends to catch shoes .It is best to dress/ clean lip before re-assembling as once again it will catch shoes . The seal with the hole on top of wheel cyl is only a dust seal to protect piston inside .The piston inside has the important seal which prevents any fliud leaking . Saying that ,if the dust shield was holed ,it was only a matter of time before dirt got in and caused inner seal to fail . You found to your cost when you should never press brake pedal !!! We have all done it at sometime ! As for the brake shoes , you will see when you get new ones that one is a lot thinner . Glad you are getting your uncle to help , best in the long run especially now that wheel cyl needs replaced and brakes bled . If needing any further help , get back to board .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.