MK4 Bake Brake Sqeak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:31   #1 (permalink)

MK4 Bake Brake Sqeak

Hello everyone, i have a prob with my fiesta mk4 which has been buggin the hell out of me for ages now, when i press the brake pedal down a sqeaking noise comes from the bake brake drum and also happens again once i release the pedal, anyone have any ideas what this could be and how i can fix it?

Also does anyone have a guide on how to replace a rear bush?

Thanks in Advance.
Homi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 12:38   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: MK4 Bake Brake Sqeak

Remove brake drum and clean out all dust etc . Then clean and grease all contact points on back plate where brake shoe touches with Copperslip grease . Should cure fault .Also touch of Copperslip on metal ends of shoes .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:37   #3 (permalink)

ok thanks for the reply i will giv it a go this weekend
Old 04-09-2009, 03:48   #4 (permalink)

oh where u said grease all contacts points where the shoe comes in contact with do you mean round the rim of the drum, hope i said that right.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:11   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homi View Post
oh where u said grease all contacts points where the shoe comes in contact with do you mean round the rim of the drum, hope i said that right.
No . You have to release brake shoe steady springs which hold shoe to back plate . Then you can get behind shoe and see contact spots to grease lightly .Make sure you dont get grease on shoes or inside drum .If unsure , get someone who is more competent as you cant mess about with brakes .
Old 04-09-2009, 10:02   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEFMECH View Post
s a Chief Senior Mechanic with 6 certifications in Ford Vehicles, I am considered one of the top experts in the country on Ford products. Yours is not a unique problem. Go see your dealer and ask him to implement TSB# FF-B08165. It makes a minor modification to your brake system and pads to prevent the noise you hear. I estimate it will cost you in the $90-$130 range at most dealers.
The poster states the noise is at the rear brake shoes so carrying out mods on pads wont cure fault .Why pay$90-$130 for a simple well known fault which every technician worth their salt can easily fix with a liitle Copperslip grease ? By the way ,having spent my entire working life in the motor industry , your boasting of being "a chief senior mechanic " , what ever that is does not impress me one bit . I could beat you hands down with qualifications from many different franchises if needed but it is not my style .To say on another post that the replies were baloney and useless is out of order and disrespectful . I have met many mechanics who were good on theory and boasted about their certificates but could not fix a car if their life depended on it . I have also employed many mechanics who have no certificates to their name , they usually were the best in the business. Sorry for rant , but you really annoyed me .
Old 04-09-2009, 18:18   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
The poster states the noise is at the rear brake shoes so carrying out mods on pads wont cure fault .Why pay$90-$130 for a simple well known fault which every technician worth their salt can easily fix with a liitle Copperslip grease ? By the way ,having spent my entire working life in the motor industry , your boasting of being "a chief senior mechanic " , what ever that is does not impress me one bit . I could beat you hands down with qualifications from many different franchises if needed but it is not my style .To say on another post that the replies were baloney and useless is out of order and disrespectful . I have met many mechanics who were good on theory and boasted about their certificates but could not fix a car if their life depended on it . I have also employed many mechanics who have no certificates to their name , they usually were the best in the business. Sorry for rant , but you really annoyed me .
Thankyou RS Logan. You summed up my thoughts exactly.

In my opinion CHIEFMECH has simply quoted a few service bullitens , abused members and advised going to a mechanic. I believe he/she knows very little and is simply being a smartass.

CHIEFMECH has been warned that this forum will not put up with abuse to members and any more will see the user banned .I have edited posts by CHIEFMECH
Old 04-11-2009, 06:06   #8 (permalink)

ok thanks logan i will be giving it ago later today or tomoz was jst a bit confused about the contact points, i will post the results when im done thanks again
Old 04-11-2009, 09:06   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homi View Post
ok thanks logan i will be giving it ago later today or tomoz was jst a bit confused about the contact points, i will post the results when im done thanks again
Glad to help . The contact points where the shoes touch are prone to dust / rust build up so give a clean before smearing with grease , remember to put a touch at metal end of shoe where it touches the wheel cyl .Take your time and you will manage ok . Best of luck .
Old 04-15-2009, 03:40   #10 (permalink)

logan some bad news or maybe good not sure lol

I removed the wheel and drum, took sometime i dont think anyone has been in there in a while. Once i got that off, i noticed straight away the left shoe was warn quite badly and that the brake cylinder had a hole in the seal, i pressed the brake and brake fluid when flying up the wall hehe.

So i have to replace the brake cyclinder and the shoes, because the shoes come in a set i thought i might aswell do both sides of the rear brakes, but im glad i check otherwise i would have been driving round with this prob and have no idea. I gunna leave this to my uncle whos a mechanic coz this is a bit above my skill level, thanks for the help again logan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum