No idea what's wrong with my KA... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 13:10   #1 (permalink)

confused No idea what's wrong with my KA...

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help me please please?!

My V reg KA has been really unresponsive lately, to the point where my foot is to the floor in 5th and I can't get above 65mph (that's pushing it). It sometimes doesn't go above 30-32 in 4th. It's noticeably different and lacking in the nippy response KA's are known for.

I discovered the oil was really really low (the light hadn't come on), so i've just topped that up. About 6-8 weeks ago I noticed a load of hair like fibres coming out of the exhaust pipe, but then it disappeared. Could it be anything to do with that?

If I keep my foot to the floor a long time, it gradually lurches in to action, but I couldn't overtake a tractor or anything!

Does this sound like anything you have experienced or seen? I don't like to take it to a garage, as it's working but it's not the same. Can't really go in and say "it feels different"!

Thanks guys for any help, it would be greatly appreciated

Cam
cam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 13:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: No idea what's wrong with my KA...

Sounds like either the exhaust or cat. internals have come apart, which will give a blockage and lack of power. Sometimes the cat. goes and works it's way through the system causing havoc en route.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:49   #3 (permalink)

Hi mate, i have had the exact same problem with my mk3 fiesta (haven't got round to fixing it since easter cos at uni at the mo).

yeah the hair like fibres have come from the packing in the box which sounds like its collapsed and blocked up the pipe. so guess you got two choices, cut the box open and pull out all the packing (like im gonna, but it might be a bit loud) or buy a new exhaust section to replace it.

hope this solves your problem
PurpleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:13   #4 (permalink)

to be honest the best and cheepest way i would say is change your exhaust becuase it is ****ed basikly lol my next door had same problem so they changed the exhaust and it was fine i agree with the other 2 ppl. hope u get it all sorted.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:01   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the great (and very accurate) advice, to conclude...

The garage sorted it in 2 hours, it was a blockage caused by the muffler on the exhaust shedding its lining (the hair). This led to a loss of compression and hence the inability to speed up!

(Hope that makes sense, it's kind of what the garage told me!)

They replaced the rear part of the exhaust, at a cost of just £42.

Thanks!
cam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:14   #6 (permalink)

it all makes sence lol i f u lived in bristol i would ov dun it 4 u as i am a mechanic well aprentice but i can fit a exhaust lol glad u got it sorted. hope u have no more problems
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum