Oh sh*t, the EAC Fail is back again - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-16, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

frown Oh sh*t, the EAC Fail is back again

Hi everyone.

My car's specs: Ford Fiesta, 1.4litre ZETEC engine, motor code. FXJA, 80 horsepowers, MFG date 03/07/2002, 113000 kilometers on the clock.

As you can see from the thread's title, I've got the damn EAC Fail error back again.

Premise: about 5 years ago, the throttle body was replaced with a used spare by a Ford dealer.
The problem: when the EAC Fail error occours, the car just stops accelerating. I'm stuck at 30 km/h and I can't rev the engine over 2000rpm. Sometimes when I power off the engine and fire it up again the problem disappears, but it's getting worse.
For two days the EAC Fail problem won't go away. I disassembled the throttle body and the MAV sensor in order to clean it (it was dirty of oil) but no way, the EAC Fail stayed. So, I went to the second hand spare parts shop and i bought a throttle body. Plugged in, installed but the EAC Fail remained. BUT, when I gave back the "new" throttle body and reinstalled the original, the car started just normally, without che EAC Fail error. LOL. This happened thursday and form that day the car ran just fine, without any freaking problem!
So during the last week, I managed to do check the engine ECU (or PCM) and I found these errors: P2176, P2119, P2100.
Later, I've analyzed the behaviour of the throttle body during the EAC Fail error (with the program Forscan) and.. it's completely dead! There's no movement of the body when I press the throttle pedal (obviously the engine was running)! Either, the throttle body doesn't run the "self test" when I turn off the engine! So I said to me "could it be the throttle pedal?". No f*ucking way: it's working just fine, checked with Forscan and it's perfect!
So what's left? Wiring and the ECU (or PCM). About the ECU I read some articles and some threads (on this forum) about people that solved the problem by changing the ECU. Later, I found and article of an italian paper (Quattroruote) that says that all Fiestas exactly like mine, manufactured within 2002 and 2003, suffers of ECU problem with the contact board. There's a faulty contact that causes the problem. So, is that true? How can I fix this?

http://put.edidomus.it/auto/mondoaut...IFETTOMESE.pdf
Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars - The Premier Ford Discussion Site on the Web

Thank you and have a good Sunday!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-16, 08:19 AM
Moderators

Re: Oh sh*t, the EAC Fail is back again

Check the wiring / connection contacts at throttle pedal .There were also some of that year that had problems with the engine bay wiring loom .If I remember correctly , big job .Check this ,

Ford Fiesta & Fusion upto 2003 1.25 1.4 1.6 Duratec

Problem: Loss of power and EAC FAIL displayed.

Solution: The EAC FAIL relates to the electronic accelerator control. Vehicles that trigger diagnostic fault codes (DTCs) / fault codes P2138 with P2122, P2123 or P2127 a common problem is the PCM (powertrain control module = ECM = engine control module) electrical connector. Check the electrical connector for the PCM for damage to the terminals and pins. Replace or repair as necessary. On vehicles that trigger P2119, P2135, P2176, P0120, P0122, P0123, P0220, P0222 or P0223 fault codes can suffer from the same PCM terminal damage but also suffer from throttle body electrical connector damage. The throttle body will need to be inspected and tested using an scope or scanner looking at live data. Check the serial number on the throttle body. Replace with a revised throttle body of the serial number is below 400000. Fault codes definition:

Pedal fault codes

P2120 – Pedal sensor 1 electrical error

P2122 – Pedal sensor 1 electrical error short to ground or open circuit

P2123 – Pedal sensor 1 electrical error short to battery

P2125 – Pedal sensor 2 electrical error

P2127 – Pedal sensor 2 electrical error short to ground or open circuit

P2128 – Pedal sensor 2 electrical error short to battery

P2138 – Pedal sensor 1 & 2 ratio error

Throtlle body fault codes

P0120 – Throttle position sensor 1 electrical error

P0122 – Throttle position sensor 1 electrical error short to ground

P0123 – Throttle position sensor 1 electrical error short to battery or line break

P0220 – Throttle position sensor 2 electrical error

P0222 – Throttle position sensor 2 electrical error short to ground or open circuit

P0223 – Throttle position sensor 2 electrical error short to battery

P2135 – Throttle position sensor ratio error

P2119 – Throttle plate convergence error. The throttle flap has not moved to the required position. This can be from an obstruction or incorrect signal. Check wiring and connectors.

P2176 - Throttle plate adaption error. After the ignition is switched off, the throttle body will run through an adaption cycle and spring check. This confirms correct functioning of the throttle body through the full range. If other fault codes are stored, they should be investigated first before P2176.

P2100 - H bridge error. Fault in circuit between throttle body motor and PCM.

PCM fault codes

P2107 - Processor monitoring on the main controller fault

P2108 - Analogue to digital converter. This can be a number of different sensors and will often be triggered with other fault codes that are more specific. P2108 can relate to mass air flow, engine speed, pedal ratio, TPS ratio, torque generation, engine speed limitation etc.

If there is inteferance or the voltage is not regulated correctly, the signal for pedals or throttle body will be out of range

P0641 – Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 noisy signal

P0642 – Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 short to ground or open circuit

P0643 – Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 short to battery

P0651 – Sensor voltage supply circuit 2 noisy signal

P0652 – Sensor voltage supply circuit 2 short to ground or open circuit

P0653 – Sensor voltage supply circuit 2 short to battery

Ford Fiesta & Fusion 2002 - 2003

Problem: When the fan direction is set to windscreen, air is still blown into the footwell.

SOlution: A known problem is a faulty air distribtion flap. To rectify the problem, a revised air distribution flap should be fitted. The revised flap has been fitted since 06/2003.

Never, never, never give up.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-16, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

So, I assume I have to check the wiring.. but, how can I do this?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-16, 11:14 AM
Moderators

You could check the plug / connection at the throttle pedal for water ingress , corrosion .As for the wiring not sure how you'd check it , I left those jobs to my auto electrician .If I recollect , Ford issued a TSB years back on the wiring harness .This was due to the old one not being a good enough conductor for the sensitive signals being sent to the PCM . The new harness had gold plated contacts and was bought as a kit from Ford dealerships .Again , only a suggestion to this fault that affected those model years .

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-16, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

So, all the connectors involved (pedal, throttle body, pcm) have been already cleaned with contact cleaner.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-16, 12:21 PM
Moderators

Many people have tried to cure this known fault on that year of car , with various " cures " .Others have spent more than the car is worth with no success or for it to return further down the line .Many are still looking for a guaranteed solution .Sorry cant supply a answer .Best of luck . ( Off the forum now to watch Barcelona v Sevilla in the Copa del Rey Final ) Buona notte , il mio amico

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-16, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Many people have tried to cure this known fault on that year of car , with various " cures " .Others have spent more than the car is worth with no success or for it to return further down the line .Many are still looking for a guaranteed solution .Sorry cant supply a answer .Best of luck . ( Off the forum now to watch Barcelona v Sevilla in the Copa del Rey Final ) Buona notte , il mio amico
God, that's.. awful. I hope the problem doesn't come back again.
In that case, I think I'll buy a used car.. I was looking for a Focus 1.6 TDCI 90/110 hp. Such a cute car but the electronics are french so same crap..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum