Starting Small - Maintenance! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-17, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Starting Small - Maintenance!

Hi :)

As I mentioned in my intro, I know next to nothing about my vehicle - but I'd like to change that. And I think a good place to start would be with basic maintenance.

What I would like to learn first is how to change the oil myself. I have a rough idea of what would be involved but have never seriously put time aside to figure it out. I have a few thousand kilometers to go before it'll need be done, so I need to get planning.

So I guess my first question would be - tools! What do I need? I have an oil pan. Do I need vehicle ramps to get underneath, or will the carjack suffice? Any weird brand-specific tools, or need of power tools, or can I manage with my simple set of hand tools?

I think this is a fairly straight forward task, but I could be wrong. Pointing out any tips, tricks, and blatantly obviously mishaps that could come of this would be greatly appreciated I certainly don't want to end up with my daily driver dead in the driveway!

'12 Blue Candy Fiesta SES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-17, 09:15 PM
Moderators

Re: Starting Small - Maintenance!

What model Fiesta? Model, year, engine size and transmission? Are you planning to change the oil filter when you change the oil (always a good idea; so you need a suitable oil filter wrench too). You'll need a funnel that fits in the oil fill hole to refill it and a socket or ring spanner that fits the oil drain plug. Using the carjack isn't really a safe way to do and oil change. You may be able to get at the oil drain plug without lifting the car but if not, at the very least you need jack stands to support the car while you are underneath it and wheel chocks so the wheels on the ground don't move (roll back or forward off the jack stands). Ramps are really not much good for oil changes (but useful for lots of other work) as the car needs to be level when you refill it. The jack that comes with the car is really only good for changing wheels when you have a flat and if you do need to lift the car for oil changes, investing in a suitable trolley jack would be a good idea. Another good investment would be a workshop manual for your car.

NEVER get under a car or put your limbs under a car that is only supported by a jack as it is the quick path to death or serious injury.
R.S.LOGAN and Mx116 like this.

Regards Blue
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 03:36 AM
Moderators

^ Good advice . Could add ,drain when hot , flows out better Also run and check no leaks from filter or sump plug .Do not overfill .A lot of people nowadays find that the cost of buying oil and filter , disposing of the old oil , getting under the car and getting dirty is not worth the hassle . I seen a local fast fit centre advertising special offer lube / filter change ( premium oil ) for only £5 more than cost of buying the parts .These offers are quite common nowadays .

Never, never, never give up.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 03:51 AM
Moderators

" NEVER get under a car or put your limbs under a car that is only supported by a jack as it is the quick path to death or serious injury. "

Very true . I learned the hard way . Early in apprenticeship , in the street outside house , was checking rear brakes on my fathers car .Used car jack supplied for quickness .Pulling off tight drum , car fell off jack . Didn't get my hand out quick enough and it split thumb and nail wide open .My father was more concerned with the blood that spurted on his car which he always kept immaculate !!!
Aussiblue likes this.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 04:18 AM
Moderators

Also take oil fill cap off the valve cover or loosen it so air can flow in when draining the oil so it flows smoothly out to one spot in your drain pan nicely rather than glug glugs as it comes out like an inverted soft drink bottle, splashes and goes everywhere.

Regards Blue
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 04:27 AM
Moderators

On some of the older cars years back , when you pulled the drain plug the oil stream would hit a cross member / steering part and splatter you .Good learning curve which you never forgot the next time .

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Hi :)

Thanks for all the responses!

I know it's definitely cheaper to have a shop do it, but I still think it's something I should know and have performed at least once myself. I'll likely continue paying someone else to do it for me, especially through the winter (and I'm in Canada, so it's always winter )

Yikes about your thumb! I'd be learning pretty quick with that.

I'm guessing jack stands are a specific thing, and not cinder blocks or logs that I've seen others use :) So I'll need those, and the oil filter wrench, socket or ring spanner (had to look that one up; always fun finding out familiar things have proper names!) and wheel chocks, so far.

For the Workshop Manual - the brand I am most familiar with is Haynes, but they don't seem to carry a Fiesta manual. Is the kA similar enough to the Fiesta that I could get away with it, or is there another brand of manuals I can look in to?

Edit: Forget to specify. My Fiesta is a 2012 SES 5 speed.. 1.6L inline-4, I believe (I'm trusting in the Google) I'll see if it's listed somewhere in the packet I have in the glovebox.

'12 Blue Candy Fiesta SES
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 09:10 PM
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-17, 09:13 PM
Moderators

Yes; jack stands are a specific tool and much safer than cinder blocks (that will collapse under the car's weight) or logs that move when the shouldn't etc. Like this: New Craftsman 3 Ton High Lift Professional Jack Stands Pair 2 Auto Garage Tools | eBay (get a pair). And its best to get at least 4 wheels chocks to go on each side of each wheels that remain on the ground. In the long run it will be cheaper to buy a set of ring spanners or combination spanners and a socket set; as you start doing other things on the car you will find many uses for them. Ultimately you will want to buy a trolley jack as you will find using the jack that came with car slow and tedious to use. So a kit like this might be a good buy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torin-Jack-w...oAAOSwI-BWQgzD

A friend of mine had his MG fall on him as a teenager when he was working on its differential while the car was supported by oven baked clay bricks (a common building material in Australia). He ended up as a paraplegic and sadly died somewhat prematurely in his early 50's as a result. For some reason he kept driving that MG too.

Regards Blue
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-17, 02:11 AM
Moderators

Don't know your location but in our city there are many car maintenance classes , usually in the evening that gives you hands on experience with jacks , stands ( where to position them etc .) and other equipment .Also the basic servicing which can be stepped up as you get more confident . As far as I can determine the 2011 and 2012 models are identical both being 6th generation models see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F...0.93present.29

Last edited by Aussiblue; 03-28-17 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Additions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum