Unreliable Fiesta!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 11:27   #1 (permalink)

Unreliable Fiesta!!!!!

Over the years many family and friends have owned various Ford models and i cant remember anyone having any major problems with them. My girlfriends one though, its had a nervous breakdown. All went well for the first 4 years (its an 03) but now its in bother.

Around the beginning of the year it started misbehaving by sudden losses of power when accelerating from low revs on a trip home from the train station. The car had sat in freezing temperatures for the day though so we assumed it was just temperature related. All seemed fine, she even drove the car down to Birmingham the next day.

The car was ok until May time when the stutters re-appeared and became more pronounced when one day it just broke down and wouldnt go (i wasnt about at the time so i never got a look). Her dads friend runs a garage and he deduced the head gasket went so he sorted the car for her and put it through its MOT.

The car ran fine until over time the stuttering re-appeared. It was never that significant, just a sort of misfire when accelerating from a high gear / low rpm under load, eg going straight through a big clear roundabout in 3rd. Anyway, the symptoms got a bit worse last week and the family friend took the car away and ran the Ford diagnostic stuff on it. I should add the engine warning light was on in the dash as well. I dont know what got replaced but it was electrical related and cost £220 (he told her dad who told her but they have since forgot...not a car family :) ).

She was warned that the repair might not last and the problem could come back. This morning when accelerating across a junction the car lurched forward then died so the problem has unfortunately been cured.

The mechanic didnt like the state of the car and hinted she should just patch it up to sell it but she isnt in the position to sell it just now so its not really an option. Needless to say shes pretty down in the dumps at the prospect of having a car seemingly needing a bottomless wallet.

I tried to cheer her up by saying the old MG Midget required one of those but it didnt work!

Anyone else had any similar issues?

Martin
banks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 13:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: Unreliable Fiesta!!!!!

What engine is in the car? Is it the 1.3?
Valleyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:35   #3 (permalink)

Just wondering why a head gasket was arrived at with no overheating problems etc; if water was found in the spark plug-holes this will give rise to misfires, but is actually caused by leaking washer jets on this year range. Plugs, leads coil-pack also need to be replaced most times. Also need to know what the fault code was that gave rise to the warning light, and what was replaced.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:48   #4 (permalink)

Hi guys,

Yeah its the 1.3. I myself was surprised the HG was replaced as there was no overheating issues. Also, as you said, he never replaced the plugs and leads etc. Thats what im going to do tomorrow :)

I'll keep you informed.
banks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum