warming up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Fiesta. From US to AU discuss this little car and the mods you have done.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2004, 05:26   #1 (permalink)

warming up

hey everyone i just wanted to know how many new fiesta owners actualy bother warming up your car before you drive.
Its something like 75% of engine damage happens in the first 10 minutes a car is switched on.
ive only been driving now for about a year but i have always let my car warm up anywhere from 5-10 minutes. and i usualy drive it around the block very slowly to get gearbox warmed up etc... just wana make it last
my car now has just over 1 thousand k's on it and its finished its wear in period. im planning on dumping the oil out and changing it :)
Does anyone know if ford use the fully synthetic shell oil... or is it the semi synthetic. i wana use the expensive shit considering even mobile 1.

What are your opinions on this and do any of you do the same???
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2004, 05:39   #2 (permalink)
Pieoter

Re: warming up

I don't warm up but restricts rev until a good temp has been reached.
Old 11-29-2004, 22:50   #3 (permalink)

i was told by my ford dealership that i can have fully synthetic put in my zetec which i'm gonna do on my 1st service
Old 11-30-2004, 04:18   #4 (permalink)

thats a good idea especialy with a new car
butttt try if all possible to use the same oil all the time. like if u start using synthetics at ur first service just try and keep using only synthetics.
i also suggest servicing the car yourself between manufacturer servicing. and warm your car up. because if i was looking to buy a second hand car and it had fully synthetic oils and had been warmed up before driven id feel more inclined to buy it at a higher price better resale boys and girls... plus you know that your lookin after your new toy :D
Old 12-01-2004, 03:33   #5 (permalink)

so at what time in between services would you do a service yourself???
Old 12-01-2004, 05:15   #6 (permalink)

well ford has the complimentary service at 3,000 but they wont change any oils. they will just give everything a check over. check oil levels. all fluids etc..
I suggest servicing between 1,500 and 3,000. then i believe first oil service is at 10,000 then at 15,000 i believe. (dont quote me on that)
but yeah with normal driving, very low reving etc u should be okay servicing at ford recomended intervals.
but because we are young... and we like to fang our cars a lil u should really service at least once between ford services.. BUT BUT BUT use genuine ford filters otherwise you might have your warranty voided if they find a filter that aint ford (it would tell em that sumone else has been servicing car, which they dont like)
personaly im going to service my car with fully synthetic oils every 3-4 thousand K's. i dont drive my car much so it takes me a long time to rack up K's
Old 12-01-2004, 05:51   #7 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

The quickest way to warm up your car is to drive it. Cars take longer to warm up when sitting there idling.

Servicing your car every 3k is a waste of money IMO - stretch it out to 5k. Also there is a reason why the oil stays in so long for a new car - I wouldn't change it before Ford does, its all part of the running in procedure of the engine.

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 22:30   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, i just drive off slowly for a while, no high revs....i used to let my car idle, don't do it no more.....plus with fully synthetic in your car you don't need to change it as often as normal oil.....i run fully syth in my motorbikes cause it last longer. But what i liked about the Fords servicing was that they don't ask you to service every bloody 6 months like other makes. this proves to me that Ford makes a good engine and they do. It was my only car whilst in England...majority fiesta's (have photos must put them on here for all to see) even had an RS turbo...god i miss that car....yeah, where was i, when i get my 1st service done, i'm getting the oil changed to fully syth.
Old 12-02-2004, 00:14   #9 (permalink)

Yeah i realise that the best way to warm an engine up is to drive it but i prefer to just let it sit fora lil while. i mean it doesnt matter, hardly uses any fuel doing so and if your not in a rush then its no big deal :D hehe

In regards to servicing, like i said, if you give ur car a bit of a thrash (which i dont reallllly do,, only sometimes hehe.) then u should service more often. but if ur a granny driver then service at normal ford scheduled times.
but thats just me.. everyones different.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:23   #10 (permalink)
Pieoter

Mines gonna go into service early next year. I had it serviced at 2000km with and I did have the oil, oil filter and fuel filter changed over by ford.

Next service ill do is will be about the 8000km mark early next year. (Would do it now but going overseas so car will just be sitting)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fiesta Forum | Ford kA Forum