'03 BA XR 6 Clunk/thump in diff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 01:39   #1 (permalink)

'03 BA XR 6 Clunk/thump in diff

Gidday all,

Was just in another thread when this topic came up but wanted to check whether I was getting b.s'd by my dealer's service guys.

Bought 2003 XR 6 with just under 17 k's on the clock 6 weeks back. Awesome runs on open road to Lake Taupo - like a bloody go kart in the corners and how is that sports mode in the auto ( At one stage a XR 8, me and a SS had a bit of a play on the last "windy stretches". Hadn't had that much fun since hitting the Southern Californian mountains my 1985 GT Mustang when I lived up there).

Any way - round town have noticed a bit of an internmittent clunk/thump from the diff on the last down shift. Dealer's service foreman (after a quick road test to confirm his suspicions) advised that the BA's are prone to this.

a) will try an additive at his suggestion
b) anyone else familiar with this diff thmp ?

Cheers,

Matt
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 02:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: '03 BA XR 6 Clunk/thump in diff

I have a 'thump' from my diff occasionally too. I also notice that the diff fees "notchy" when accelating out of say, a roundabout at low speed when you toss a bit of pedal into it.

Let me know how you get on coz I plan to harrass my dealer at my 3000k service.

1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 20:56   #3 (permalink)

I notice a slight diff clunk when down shifting from 2 to 1 in manual mode however if I let it drift down by itself i.e if I am slowing to a stop and leave it in 2 it will slip into 1 by itself when the speed is less than 10km/h with no diff clunk
XR6NA with T Snorkal in Silhouette with Lux Pack + 2nd CAI XR8 Snorkel, Pacemaker Headers, High Flow Cat, Redback Exhaust with Twin Tailpipes - 149kw (G-Tech), Lower Grill, Side Air Bags, Power Pedals, Boot Lid Carpet, Boot Liner, Rear Sun Screen, Mats, Spats, Scuffs, Tint, Gold Plated Badges
newxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 19:10   #4 (permalink)

Unfortunately this is a common problem, basically in all manuals and some auto's. Do a search on "Driveline shunt" and you will find many people whinging about how this is unacceptable in a modern car (including myself)

Standard dealer response is "Yes that is characteristic of this model...", "its normal", "they all do that".

It's a shame because it lets down an otherwise excellent car!
prdreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 23:33   #5 (permalink)

You've got it in one. I have also had a response from Ford NZ which effectively says that they've designed the lsd that way and that tightening it up would have a negative impact !!.

Apart from this one issue I really am enjoying the XR 6 but, if the oil additive has no impact, will seriously consider going back to the dealer - and letting Ford NZ know - that after a 6 week experience with a XR6 I'll be dropping it.

I didn't pay $35K for a vehicle that "clunks".

At the risk of being booed outta here, my only other real option is to go to an older and higher kms SS (ouch)
Old 06-01-2005, 16:38   #6 (permalink)

Gidday guys,

Well this morning my dealer put in the additive while I waited.

FYI the additive is avail only through Ford - Part No FOST 7098 "Dana Spicer Modified Additive". (understand that Dana is/was the manufacturer - or at least one of the manufacturers of the diffs for the BA's)

They've suggested that I give it a week and then - get this - "if you're still not happy, bring it back and we'll go to the next stage." On the short drive from the dealers to work - not one clunk, but then again that was only a 7 km run

Ford NZ have indicated that whilst the additive will probably get rid of "most of the clunk", there will still be some element of it.

If you've not tried it - you may want to discuss this option with your dealers as the first step.

Again - just to let you know, the next stage discussed was basically the good old fashioned measuring back lash and if necessary, shimming it etc to fix the problem. The service foreman I spoke with advised that while far from common, they'd done one last week and they'd not heard back from the client so assumed he was a happy camper.

I let them know that I'd discovered a lot of disgruntled Aussie BA owners over this issue on the web and the Service Manager's response was "mate I'd be p...ed off as well if I spent $35K on a car and it clunked. We WILL fix it for you".

Personally I think that checking the backlash and shimming back to factory specs is probably a better course of action than just swapping the diff for one that may have the same inbuilt fault.

Seems to me that I'm a lot better off than many of you guys in that I've got a proactive dealer - it is one of the biggest in NZ - that wants my business for the long term (keep this up and they'll get it).

Will give you an update how I get on.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 06-07-2005, 00:56   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B
Gidday guys,

Well this morning my dealer put in the additive while I waited.

FYI the additive is avail only through Ford - Part No FOST 7098 "Dana Spicer Modified Additive". (understand that Dana is/was the manufacturer - or at least one of the manufacturers of the diffs for the BA's)

They've suggested that I give it a week and then - get this - "if you're still not happy, bring it back and we'll go to the next stage." On the short drive from the dealers to work - not one clunk, but then again that was only a 7 km run

Ford NZ have indicated that whilst the additive will probably get rid of "most of the clunk", there will still be some element of it.

If you've not tried it - you may want to discuss this option with your dealers as the first step.

Again - just to let you know, the next stage discussed was basically the good old fashioned measuring back lash and if necessary, shimming it etc to fix the problem. The service foreman I spoke with advised that while far from common, they'd done one last week and they'd not heard back from the client so assumed he was a happy camper.

I let them know that I'd discovered a lot of disgruntled Aussie BA owners over this issue on the web and the Service Manager's response was "mate I'd be p...ed off as well if I spent $35K on a car and it clunked. We WILL fix it for you".

Personally I think that checking the backlash and shimming back to factory specs is probably a better course of action than just swapping the diff for one that may have the same inbuilt fault.

Seems to me that I'm a lot better off than many of you guys in that I've got a proactive dealer - it is one of the biggest in NZ - that wants my business for the long term (keep this up and they'll get it).

Will give you an update how I get on.

Cheers,

Matt
This has been going on for some time, my AU XR8 did the same. Ford blame the diff cone and IRS setup. Additive went in and they advised me to find a surface where I could put one rear wheel on tarmac and one on grass and do a wheelie. Apparently the diff binds up and using it with wheelspin helps fix it. The problem returned 20,000 kms later and no further additive was needed only the wheelie, simply pulled over on a quite stretch of road, one foot on the brake so the car stays stationary and one on the load pedal to induce wheelspin. Repeat for the other side and loud clunks disappeared (mostly).
Fun car but far from perfect.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:26   #8 (permalink)

You are lucky to have a such a good dealer.

Quote:
I didn't pay $35K for a vehicle that "clunks".

At the risk of being booed outta here, my only other real option is to go to an older and higher kms SS (ouch)
Yes nothing like feeling like you are driving a tractor.

Having had a VYSS, with similar driveline shunt, I wouldn't be too sure that going to the Commodore would fix the problem.

Anyway, glad to hear your dealer is helping.
prdreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:38   #9 (permalink)

Guys is it only the Limited Slip Diffs that are clunking in the BA series or does it also extend to a standard diff as well ? My BA has done it from day one (LSD fitted) and if it doesn't affect BAs fitted with a standard diff I might ask my dealer to fit one.

1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:51   #10 (permalink)

Ive got the standard diff and it still does it, bloody annoying. When i downshift from 2 to 1 in sequential, it sounds as though the whole thing has fallen out of the car.
gpxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons