1960 Falcon VIN - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2004, 16:34   #1 (permalink)

1960 Falcon VIN

I'm really interested in a 1960 Falcon at a local dealer, but there seem to be a few discrepancies with the car.

Firstly, I discovered that the 5.0 Cobra HO engine under the hood is just a 5.0 HO with a Cobra plate screwed on in place of the stock plate. Not a big deal, just some extra leverage for me in bringing down the price.

Secondly, comparing the VIN I have found on the car to examples of VINs from other 1960 Falcons, the VIN is incorrect. There are two plates, one on the driver-side door column, the other on the inside of the driver-side door itself. The tag on the inside of the door says Tennessee Department of Safety (or Transportation, I forget), then it has a place for VIN, and Make. In the VIN spot it reads TNVIN013807059312. In the Make spot it reads 1960 Ford 2D. On the tag on the door-column the tag reads Georgia Department of Safety (or Transportation--it was the same as the Tennessee one), and the same VIN is listed.

I can't find any way to even morph that VIN into something remotely similar to a Falcon VIN. My dad even put in his two cents and tells me that if the TN originally stood for Tennessee, well, then the plate is forged--in 1960, TN wasn't the abbreviation for Tennessee.

Did I find the wrong VIN (even though it was clearly labelled VIN)? Or, according to some Falcon sites, is the Falcon originally Canadian, in which case its VIN would be different?

I can't say these things have broken my love of this car, but they are starting to worry me. Like I said, the motor isn't a biggie. However, not being able to locate a REAL VIN is a little weird.

Would any Falcon buffs please shed some light on the situation? I'd be much obliged.

PS - For the curious minded, here's some pics of the car and misleading engine.

OdinVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons