2002 BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4l Help with purchase. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 14:56   #1 (permalink)

2002 BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4l Help with purchase.

Hi,

Considering buying a 2002 BA Ghia 5.4l, it is mercury silver, sat nav, full service history, 60,000kms for $29,990.

I currently own a 2001 Camry Azura V6.

My main concern is going to be fuel econ as this purchase is going to be a daily driver. Sydney traffic from Revesby to Castle hill or North Ryde. So stop start through bankstown all the way up centenial drive usually... My brothers BA XR6 is a shocker on fuel.... although it is driven hard... :-)

Would a Ghia 4.0 be a better option for fuel econ?

The camry's fuel econ is VERY disappointing, 400 km's city and 500 at best country driving from a 65 litre tank. It's a nice car, but not a ford :-) It is not driven hard by any means...

The salesman is telling me that the ghia has some kinda whacky feature that turns cylinders off while at highway speeds. Is this true? The salesman also told me that the car hadn't been in an accident.... which was a lie as the rear right had a poor paint repair and a spot of rust near the petrol filler... The rear bumper was not sitting perfect either...

That being said, it's way cheap.. $38k is about what they are going for with about 30,000kms. so $30k ish is a good buy?

What do you think? I am in no rush to buy, the camry isn't going to devaluate that much over the next 6 months, so i'm happy to wait and see...

Thanks for the advice,
Mike J
cj2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 17:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2002 BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4l Help with purchase.

hmmm well fuel economy is definitely alot better in the 4.0l 6 cylinder

and also dont wanna "plug" any car buying places but you can buy a 2003/2004 fairmont ghia with 20,000kms for around 30k to 35k.
of course with no "sat nav" and only a 4.0l 6 ,

but i think it would be better value.....
freddykingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 17:31   #3 (permalink)

oops if u mean is the fuel econmy better than the camry

its prob a NO
freddykingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:46   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj2609
Hi,

Considering buying a 2002 BA Ghia 5.4l, it is mercury silver, sat nav, full service history, 60,000kms for $29,990.

I currently own a 2001 Camry Azura V6.

My main concern is going to be fuel econ as this purchase is going to be a daily driver. Sydney traffic from Revesby to Castle hill or North Ryde. So stop start through bankstown all the way up centenial drive usually... My brothers BA XR6 is a shocker on fuel.... although it is driven hard... :-)

The camry's fuel econ is VERY disappointing, 400 km's city and 500 at best country driving from a 65 litre tank. It's a nice car, but not a ford :-) It is not driven hard by any means...

The salesman is telling me that the ghia has some kinda whacky feature that turns cylinders off while at highway speeds. Is this true? The salesman also told me that the car hadn't been in an accident.... which was a lie as the rear right had a poor paint repair and a spot of rust near the petrol filler... The rear bumper was not sitting perfect either...

That being said, it's way cheap.. $38k is about what they are going for with about 30,000kms. so $30k ish is a good buy?

What do you think? I am in no rush to buy, the camry isn't going to devaluate that much over the next 6 months, so i'm happy to wait and see...

Thanks for the advice,
Mike J
If you can wait six months I would wait until Sydney Motor Show time as this is when I think BA model replacement will occur further dropping older BA prices as really nothing major has occurred since 2002 while bigger things will occur by the end of this year. The 3V V8 is very smooth however unless wringing max performance out of it, for typical suburban driving, you won't miss it if driving an I6 and will gain better economy with a far greater range of cars to choose from.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 21:23   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Yeh, BA prices are going to tumble a bit due to:
-BA replacement appearing end of this year (although not massive changes, but worthwhile ones). Things like a new 6 speed gearbox, newer exterior look, rumored ESP, more engine power, some weight loss etc.
-BA's will finish 3 year leases and fleets will start turning them over en mass

The 5.4 are from what I've seen and heard guzzellers. They do not have cylinder deactivation. Only fuel injection and VCT, and VCT does not really help economy much in its current application (more to help low end torque). They also add significant weight to a all ready heavy car. Nor are they that much quicker either (esp to 100 kmph, on the freeway they apparently show up a bit better), your talking 7.5 seconds for the 5.4 or 8.0 seconds for the 4.0.

$30K is a alright price, but you can get a perfect I6 for that or less. Save money on insurance, purchase, more choices, buy a better car.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:36   #6 (permalink)
"Tickford- Own the road"

BA V8 Ghia's are a good vehicle overall.

But if you want fuel economy, forget it. I get 430 kilometres (50/50 city/highway, occasional big revs) out of a small 65 odd litre fuel tank. Bloody idiots at Ford should have put a bigger tank in all V8 BA's.

Overall, they are a great vehicle apart from the fuel factor, worth sacrificing the dough for the pleasure. An awesome street sleeper also (no V8 badging)

5.4 litre VCT V8, SSS AUTO, HERRODS EXHAUST, MERCURY SILVER, BLACK LEATHER/INTERIOR, TINTS, SUNROOF, SAT NAV, FORD SCUFF PLATES, GHIA MATS, PREMIUM SOUND, SLIMLINE WEATHER SHIELDS, BONNET PROTECTOR, TOW BAR, BLAH BLAH.......
tickford5400i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 16:23   #7 (permalink)

roll Re: 2002 BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4l Help with purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj2609

First answer, probably, but as I can only give you my Ghia I6 feedback I could be wrong. Fuel consumption has settled at about 12.9-13 ltrs/100km.
That is for suburban driving, average speed has settled at about 48kph.
Highway fuel consumptions struggles to get below 10 ltrs/100km.

Whoever is driving that Camry must have a very heavy foot, or something is seriously wrong with it. I drive a few Camry rentals and have never suffered to that degree with fuel.

Second answer, I have struggled to see the point of the V8 Ghia, 180kW and a flat torque curve is pretty good. The I6 should be enough for 90+% of anybodies needs.
Old 02-04-2005, 23:12   #8 (permalink)

supermono. Don't agree, I went from a NL Fairlane I6 to a AU Series 3 Fairmont V8 ,the difference in power, smoothness is noticable. I put my foot down to overtake and no induction howl etc as from the I6, just smooth, rapid power delivery. If you can get the V8, go for it.You won't be sorry.
Old 02-06-2005, 13:37   #9 (permalink)

I have the exact same car you describe, right down to the color !! Fuel ? LOL ...let me say this it is the worst fuel consumption I have ever had in any car, period !! This includes Hi-po 351 GTs ESP's and so on. I have always had v8's but this is the thirstiest of them all. That said it doesnt bother me at all, thats the price Im willing to pay for the car, and what a beautiful car she is to drive.

btw I paid a measly 16k for my BA 5.4L Ghia which was an ex fleet car...
Old 02-06-2005, 14:01   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casrms1450
supermono. Don't agree, I went from a NL Fairlane I6 to a AU Series 3 Fairmont V8
Big difference between the NL/AU engines and the BA series, but each to his own.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons