Ford Forums banner

2v head's

11K views 92 replies 22 participants last post by  Klawsterfobik 
#1 ·
I've been talking to dad about getting a 2v head for my car. And to be totally honest i dont think that he quite understands how rare these heads are. So in the name of peace between us, does anyone have any figures on how many cars were produced with these fitted?

From what i understand they were only fitted to XY's and XA's and killed off because they were beating the V8 brigade.

Also what would be a good road to go down to get this engine to perform better, and what should i steer clear of? I've heard i should get the engine blue printed and balanced, and not to touch the exhuast ports as they're already huge.

As an added brain-teaser if i do get the engine that im looking at, im going to convert it to run on PULP, through dual 2 1/4 exhausts and hi-flo cats.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

#2 ·
Howdy,

I had a standard pre xflow 250 in my xy wagon. i found a 2v head in the trading post, had it reconditioned with hardened valves etc to run on PULP. its running the original 2bbl stromberg that came with the 2v as someone mentioned to me that it is better than putting a 350 holley on. had tuned length motivator extractors fitted and a dual 2in exhaust. the power difference is amazing and thats even before i install a suitable camshaft. will finish it off when i find the $$

not sure on the numbers that came out with 2v heads just know that it was hard to find one and in good condition. I also found a couple of websites around run by americans who rave about the 2v head and often snap them up in aust and get them shipped over.

#3 ·
Klawsterfobik said:
im going to convert it to run on PULP, through dual 2 1/4 exhausts and hi-flo cats.
If its your xy where talkin about then you wont need cats as its a
pre-pollution law car.
i got a mate who was lookin for a 2v head but everytime they came round they were a bit pricey.
keep your eye out on ebay aswell i see them there more then i see them in the trading post
good luck with it anyway mate
cheers
cam

#4 ·
Thanks for the replys.

I currently know where 2 are, 1 has a 350 on it, the other most likely has the original carby still attached. But it is just about getting the cash together to get these things in my garage.

What mods are needed to get serious horsepower out of these engines (250 log)? I love the sound of the old 8's but i want something a little different so i see the hypo 6 as the answer.

Any responses would be great.

#5 ·
Mate with a good exhaust, these thing's sound almost identical to an eight, even more so with a cam,if you can find a good one don't let it go, because there arn't alot around these day's, like someone above said the Yank's are shipping them over there at a fast rate to bolt onto there 6's as they never had anything like this at all available to them,and I to have been told to use the original carby over the Holley or even a weber,
If anybody know's of a original Stromberg twin barrell carby that came out on these 2V head's for sale, give me a call as I'm doing up my head to original spec's and want one of these to finish it off, I have a 350 Holley to swap if anyone is interested,cheer's.

#6 ·
You would of loved my 2v motor, i worked it so much i blew the gearbox in a week and eventually needed a high stall. I put oversized pistons, fully balanced the bottom end, ported and polished the head, custom grind cam(hence the need for histall) and a 500 holley with bigger jets and power valve. I went with extractors and a 2 1/4 system and believe me if i had a dollar for everytime someone said is that a v8 under there i could of rebuilt the engine twice.

As for performance id give v8's a run for there money thats for sure.

Oh yeah it used to smoke 265's with ease.

#9 ·
That looks great, it'd be better in my engine bay ;)

Im not just looking to give the v8's a run for their money, i want to beat them. Especially all the guys in the their VB and VR commondores with chopped springs, neon lights and stock v8's thinking their awesome.

My father in law builds sprint car engines, so i dont think a ball-tearing 6 is out of the question. Hell he got a guy out to make me up some custom spark plug leads, and it feels stronger already, mind you my old ones fell apart in my hand when i pulled them off.

Guess ill start planning, and try a bit harder to hunt up this original 2v headed 221 XP wagon, hopefully it has the standard carby on it.

Dale

#10 ·
Fordy: It might just be the light, but does that rocker cover not have "powered by ford" on it? Did the 2v's have a different rocker cover to the standard 1v head?

And whats actually different about the 2v head, did they have a different exhaust and inlet valve configuration?

#11 ·
Klawsterfobik said:
Fordy: It might just be the light, but does that rocker cover not have "powered by ford" on it? Did the 2v's have a different rocker cover to the standard 1v head?

And whats actually different about the 2v head, did they have a different exhaust and inlet valve configuration?
The rocker cover is aftermarket and doesnt have "powered by ford" on it.

As you can see in the photo it has a seperate inlet manifold compared to the all in one used on the standard heads.

#13 ·
Is that all, just the inlet manifold is seperate?

Whoa, thats amazing that it can give an extra 90hp. I dyno'd my car (in stock form without the 2 1/4 exhaust) at TAFE here in Geelong, and got 81hp.

Dad still doesnt belive me that they put out 170hp in stock form. Does anyone know of a website i can print some stuff off to show him? I cant wait to get one bolted on...

Dale

#14 ·
galaxy xr8 said:
Thank's for that Fordy,What was it like to drive as a daily driver/street vehicle and also on fuel?.
Once i put the c4 behind it and a hi-stall it was sweet, it idled nice and drove superb, but did used to drink a bit but you'd have to expect that if you out a cam and carby like i had. If you went with original carby and not so radical cam fuel economy wouldnt be much different from the standard head.

#19 ·
Nope, the 300 is an american truck engine. Why anyone would want to spend the thousands of dollars required to find, buy, import, install and get one engineered is beyond me though. You could super/turbo charge a 250 for the same amount of money.

I know which one i'd rather own.

#21 ·
There are 300s around locally, you just need to look for them and they don't cost thousands of dollars. Alot of them can be found in Canadian F-Trucks. They're not a bored out 250, however most parts are interchangable. So why not turbo a 300 for an extra tough 6? Would give us v8 boys a run for our money. The torque of a standard 300 is enough to put alot of Clevelands to shame.

#22 ·
Something to think about anyway. I might make a few calls to some F-Truck wreckers. But what about the 2v head? Would i still be able to bolt it on to the 300?

I wouldnt mind a turbo 250 or 300.. Definately something different to keep my mind ticking over.

#23 ·
Have you ever put one/seen one installed in an aussie falcon? I'll bet nothing is bolt in and drive away. Not even the 4.0L EB engine will fit without months of work.

Also I can say from experience that getting parts for an american engine is a total pain in the ass. Just trying to get a set of rocker cover gaskets for my 390 is a 1-2 week wait. Let along getting custom parts for a turbo setup.

#24 ·
300 engines were also installed in New Holland farm equipment (headers,balers, self propelled hay carts etc) Might be worth a call to a tractor wrecker. Ford aus also imported 250 F250 4x4 in 1977 that had this motor fitted. I know that converting one of these to a clevo is a bolt in proposition so engine mounts shouldnt be too hard.
Regds,
Tote

#25 ·
Klawsterfobik said:
But what about the 2v head? Would I still be able to bolt it on to the 300?
No, a 250-2V head wont bolt up to a 300 block. The 300 is a totally different block. The good news is that it also has a removable cast aluminum intake manifold.

#26 ·
FYI, Here are the specs I built my engine to:

Bottom end Spec – 1973 250 block decked to zero for more quench, use stock dished pistons, Molly rings for a 250, ARP rod bolts, dynamic and static balance the rotating assembly.

Use stock block, Pistons and Rods.
Sealed power molly rings
Johnson Lifters
ARP Rod Bolts P/N ARP-153-6001

Cylinder head Spec – Aussie 250 2V head with 1.75" SS intake valves and 1.5” SS exhaust valves, Hardened valve seats, 5/16 bronze guides three-angle valve grind, match & pocket ported, bowls blended and valves unshrouded, exhaust port divider installed. Aftermarket valve springs, Roller rockers, mill the head to the desired compression ratio (9.3:1). Use hardened washers and a Fel Pro head gasket.

Custom dual pattern cam (264/274 - 208/222 - 453/480 - 108 @ 1500-5500 RPM).
Elgin 8 5/16” ball & cup Pushrods P/N PR313
Bronze guides
Isky Springs RV778
Isky hardened seats.
Isky Retainers P/N 4107-ST
Isky 5/16 Single Groove H.D. Valve Locks

This is going in my 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible in California, cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.